Arial video using RC helicopter

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Has anyone used a remote control helicopter to get ariel video? I’ve read up on several manufacturers the make the helicopters (and some come with cameras attached). I’m looking for opinions on the equipment (helicopters and cameras). Any help would be papreciated. Thanks.

Daniel HartDaniel Hart
      Participant

No, I can’t say that I ever have. However, I (personally) would be skeptical about the quality of video I would get from a built in camera on a helicopter. I would rather buy an RC helicopter with no camera and strap my GoPro to it.

But I could be wrong about that.

Participant

google parrot drone… also second the go-pro solution…

I’m looking at helium blimps with rc controls as well… of that is a tethered solution…

Inactive

No, I haven’t, but I want to. I have been checking these out with great interest.

http://www.helipal.com/t580p-quadcopter-body-w-camera-mount.html

Dave.

Participant

Thanks for the replies…   as for the quality of the video, my first goal is to get the system to even work. Most of the video would be “B” roll (to start with), shooting a baseball game for example, and learning the ins-and-outs of controlling the camera and helicopter together. I’ll keep working on it.

Participant

Just started playing around with R/C helicopters about a month ago. Ended up purchasing an Protocol Accelerator at BestBuy for $90. It’s basically a big toy, not professional or anything, but a good place to start. After a bit of experimenting I was able to mount my GoPro. I tried mounting on tthe belly, and then on the nose with temporary mounts ie. elastic bands, and got some great results. A bit of vibration, but still working on it. The bottom line is, it can be done, but my suggestion is practice, practice, practice, before even considering mounting a camera on it unless you are already an exper flyer.

Cheers -Wayne-

Participant

@ Wayne.. what r your flight times with that particular copter and go pro?

Participant

Don, With that unit I only get between 5 and 7 min. of flight time. Having checked out other electric R/C helicopters online that seems about normal. I’m thinking it’s a limitation of the rechargable battery that came with the helicopter and replacing it with a higher rated mAh battery might improve things. I’ll have to ask the guys at the local hobby shop.

-Wayne-

Participant

I was an RC (airplane) enthusiast about 6-7 years ago but at the age I was I dropped it because I couldn’t afford it. I always wanted to attach a video camera in my kid dreams but at that time nothing like a gopro existed. I am seriously considering getting back into it for the reason of aerial shots. That adds so much to a video. I would agree with those that discourage a built in camera. Gopro looks like an amazing camera for a cheap price. Now with the live streaming via Wi-Fi BacPac & Remote to your laptop/tablet/smartphone that could change the game and really make aerial shots affordable to those of us on a small budget. Let me know how it works out cause I want to get into it myself and would love to hear your success

Cheers!

Participant

for indoor use, and possible out door use while tethered… I think a blimp with helium is gonna be the best compromise between cost, flight time, and safety for many applications…

http://airswimmers.com/

Participant

If it supports the weight of a GoPro I will order one today.

Participant

On second thought, the moving tail might create more shake than intended, but still a cool toy.

Sunkleep,

Take a look at an old post of mine on this very subject.

helo-aerials-with-gopro

Participant

those toys won’t carry a go-pro…. unless you tether a couple… of together… but the idea has a lot of merit compared to ‘copters… esp for indoor shooting…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap