Are There Any “Cool” Lights?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I shoot in Phoenix in the summer. If we shoot indoors we sometimes have to turn off the air conditioning because of noise. It can get sweltering in there with two or more 750 watt lights burning! I see in this months VM magazine an LED camera light is tested. Apparently they put out no heat. I am wondering if there are any larger, modeling type lights that are LED, or at least don’t heat up the room!
      Thanks!

Participant

[quote="compusolver"]Try this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=FetchChildren&Q=&ci=1167%5B/quote%5D

I have no knowledge of flourescent lights! Can you tell me what I want to look for? I have been using Lowell Tota Lights with either 500 or 750 watt bulbs. Their color temperature works great with my video. I also use the white umbrellas (diffusers) that came with the Totas. I am very satisfied with my results from the Totas, and their bulbs have lasted for years. Will these flourescent lights give me similar performance?
      I really appreciate your input!!
      Thanks!!

Participant

Hi,
      Working in a studio without windows without air con in Phoenix in the summer (!!!) where its actually going up to only 111 today, which is no biggie for Phoenix. Hunter Thompson likened Phoenix to Hell, but for the fact that Hell is less crowded. I lived in Sierra Vista (Fort Huachuca) for several years and recall being comfortable at 100 degrees when hearing the daily report of 120+ temps in Phoenix.

Bottom line is that you will be hot and sweaty without air con no matter how cool your lights.

Heres one and one half cents worth of brainstorming on the subject.

Have your air cons received maintenance in a while. If they have been serviced they may be less noisy. Evap coolers are always noisy; more on that below.

Temps drop 25-30 degrees at night in your area. Dropping begins at sunset. Could you work in the studio say from 9 pm to 4 am?

If you are doing line input, ambient noise wont matter, so I assume you are recording live voices plus the ambience. If you use good unidirectional mikes, with mikes properly held by or attached to talent (or booms), ambient/background noise should be minimal or at least acceptable if steady. (A system cutting on off on off would be problem; set for max cooling so it stays ON for consistency.) These broadcast quality mikes can be pricey but you will still be using them in 10 years.

Run your mikes through a decent mixing board that allows for fine tuning through the equalization (i.e., killing) of unwanted frequencies. Evap coolers can give out a low frequency rumble which you should be able to kill with an equalizer without destructive impact on the normal frequency range. You should be able to purchase a good used sound board for a reasonable price (or borrow from musician friends). Best to clean up your sound to the max before you lay it on your hard drive.

If I were still living in AZ I think I would want to drive out to the desert in the middle of the night with a quality digital audio deck and record my narration in the presence of comets.

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Participant

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap