Are MiniDV recordings compatible across camera brands/models

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Are MiniDV recordings compatible across camera brands/models

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

If I record video on a MiniDV tape in a JVC camera can I play it back in a Panasonic MiniDV camera?

In other words, do all MiniDV camera record in the same format or are there differences (such as exist between a disk formatted by a Mac or a Windows computer)?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but here is my reason for asking: I have a bunch of MiniDV tapes recorded on a JVC GR-DVM90 and I want to give that camera to a friend’s daughter for her school project, then buy a newer MiniDV camera for myself. I don’t want to find that I cannot view the old tapes on the new machine.

Thanks…scobb

Participant

I have a Canon Gl2 a Sony 2100 and a Canon 200 and they are compatible. Don’t know about the rest.

Inactive

As long as you’re recording at standard speed, everything should be compatible. But if you use the slower speed, to get more than an hour on an hour tape, then all bets are off. πŸ˜‰
      Ken Hull

Participant

I used a Canon XL2, and then tried to playback with a Panasonic PV-GS39. Video was ok, audio was useless – with pops, clicks, and other distortions.

IT could be that the XL2 was in LP mode.

One sec, I’ll check it out on SP.

Participant

If it was recorded in SP, it seems to work out

Inactive

Thanks for the responses…consensus seems to be mildly affirmative that MiniDV tapes are compatible between different cameras IF recorded SP. I’m glad I asked.

Participant

scobb99 Wrote:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but here is my reason for asking…

As stated below in my bio, I am a teacher when I am not being a videographer. A teacher told me, as a joke, one time.

"There are no stupid questions… Just stupid people. πŸ˜€ "

Obviously this was a joke.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap