archiving vhs to mini-dv?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just recently purchasedthe Sony DCR HC 48 Handycam… after scouringApple’s iMoviediscussion boards, it appears as though I will NOT be able to transfer VHS footage digitally using this camcorder as a pass through. This is definitely a problem for me, as I was hoping to archive many VHS tapes to mini-dv. The emphasis is to archive to mini-dv as opposed to importing all vhs footage directly into iMovie, which could ultimately tie up my internal hard drive (I would like to go through the tapes and edit them at a later date).

<p class=”gmail_quote”>

If I buy an analog to digital converter, do you know if I can somehow transfer the vhs to a mini-dv cassette with this approach? Again, I would prefer not to directly copy footage into the computer. What about investing in a vcr/mini-dv unit such as the one linked below? It appears as though they are no longer manufacturing these but, given my situation, and the number of tapes I am hoping to archive (and eventually edit), it may be a wise purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-SR<wbr></wbr>-VS30U-Mini-DV-S-VHS-VCR<wbr></wbr>_W0QQitemZ110189573382QQihZ001Q<wbr></wbr>QcategoryZ3318QQssPageNameZWDVW<wbr></wbr>QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please write when you have a moment. Thank you in advance for your assistance… much appreciated!!!

Regards,

Joe

Participant

I have a Canopus ADVC-100, it works great.

Participant

The ADVC-100 is great, but I believe it over $200. I would recommend buying an older DV camera with analog inputs and using it asthe converter. I recently found one at a pawn shop for $50 and it works great for converting my VHS.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap