archiving vhs to mini-dv?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just recently purchasedthe Sony DCR HC 48 Handycam… after scouringApple’s iMoviediscussion boards, it appears as though I will NOT be able to transfer VHS footage digitally using this camcorder as a pass through. This is definitely a problem for me, as I was hoping to archive many VHS tapes to mini-dv. The emphasis is to archive to mini-dv as opposed to importing all vhs footage directly into iMovie, which could ultimately tie up my internal hard drive (I would like to go through the tapes and edit them at a later date).

<p class=”gmail_quote”>

If I buy an analog to digital converter, do you know if I can somehow transfer the vhs to a mini-dv cassette with this approach? Again, I would prefer not to directly copy footage into the computer. What about investing in a vcr/mini-dv unit such as the one linked below? It appears as though they are no longer manufacturing these but, given my situation, and the number of tapes I am hoping to archive (and eventually edit), it may be a wise purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-SR<wbr></wbr>-VS30U-Mini-DV-S-VHS-VCR<wbr></wbr>_W0QQitemZ110189573382QQihZ001Q<wbr></wbr>QcategoryZ3318QQssPageNameZWDVW<wbr></wbr>QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please write when you have a moment. Thank you in advance for your assistance… much appreciated!!!

Regards,

Joe

Participant

I have a Canopus ADVC-100, it works great.

Participant

The ADVC-100 is great, but I believe it over $200. I would recommend buying an older DV camera with analog inputs and using it asthe converter. I recently found one at a pawn shop for $50 and it works great for converting my VHS.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap