Apple ProRes files into Vegas Pro 10

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      fred
      Participant

Hi All. I am new to this forum.

I have sony HDR FX7cam and thinking of getting aATOMOS NINJA field recorder

It captures tohard disc asApple ProRes files, and I want to know if they can be

imported in to Vegas Pro 10

rs170a
      Participant

I’ve gotten ProRes files from local post houses and never had any problems importing them. Having said that, I’ve never heard of the device you mentioned until I read your post. The fact that they don’t make some sample files available on their site has me a bit worried as I like to “try before I buy”.

Mike

Kenkyusha
      Participant

The ProRes off the Ninja is readable by PC’s running Premiere and Vegas. 

fred
      Participant

Hi all. I have now got a ninja and imported the pro res files into vegas pro11

they edit OK but now i want to know what is the file format to render to.

FRED

rs170a
      Participant

That depends entirely on what you want to do with the file. DVD, web, something else?

Mike

fred
      Participant

As the prores files are very high quality i want to render to best for Blu-Ray.

fred

rs170a
      Participant

I haven’t done any Blu-ray work yet so hopefully someone who has will jump in here and offer some suggestions.

Mike

Kenkyusha
      Participant

From Vegas don’t you have the option of Sony AVC or somesuch for exporting to bluray?  That should work nicely.

Jackson Wong
      Inactive

Yes indeed, H.264 Blu-ray (MPEG-4 AVC) is a good codec for Blu-ray, and Vegas Pro 10 should be quite capable. Though this article uses Adobe Encore, the practices may still fit your system.

http://www.videomaker.com/article/14211/

The Ninja is exciting, we’ve got one in the office here and reviewed it recently:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/15490/

We use Blu-rays for archiving purposes, who knows, they could be the last physical blank media for us to hold onto, keep up the good work!

doublehamm
      Participant

For Vegas, I use the “AVCHD 1920×1080-60i” preset. This renders it to m2ts, which is the blu ray stream (you wont need to re-render the video when loading it into a BD compiling program like DVD-A), but you can also do JUST the video stream if you do the “Blu-ray 1920×1080-60i, 16 Mbps video stream” and it will render the video only .avc file. I prefer the .m2ts route as it saves a copy of the audio with the video stream for easy access backup, HOWEVER, when you compile a blu-ray, you SHOULD ALWAYS render out the audio separately as an ac3-pro file and replace that as the audio stream when building your disc. This way your audio will not have to be re-rendered when compiling, and you have full control over keeping it as pure as possible.

If you want to keep a high quality master copy on your hard disc, render as a .mxf file (35 MB/s VBR, or 50MB/s CBR).

fred
      Participant

Thanks all for the usefull information

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN