Apple (Lion) no longer does iDVD. Are discs Toast?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Apple (Lion) no longer does iDVD. Are discs Toast?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m an event videographer whose clientele, for the most part, still prefer discs to online streaming. Apple, correctly no doubt, believes that the future is in the Cloud. Their latest OS X (Lion) doesn’t pack iDVD. Which puts me in a bind just as I am upgrading from pre-intel Mac G5 to Lion-loaded iMac i5. How is one to author dvds. Can you still get iLife 11 off the shelf? Can you buy the latest iDVD iteration separately? Or do you go to a 3rd party provider, like Toast 11 (do they do Themes?) How are you event videographers providing discs to those clients of yours who still prefer the dvd?

Thanks,

Participant

Take this with a grain of salt (I no longer edit on an Apple platform), but you can probably purchase ILife 08, 09 or 10 disks from reputable sellers on E(vil)bay or Amazon.

Participant

See if you can get FCP7. That comes with DVD Studio Pro.

Adobe’s package also comes with a DVD Authoring program. I’m pretty sure it’s called Encore.

If you’re a professional, get some professional software. iDVD (and the rest of iLife) is not professional.

Professional defines a package, product, equipment or software that someone who gets paid to produce, et al, utilizes to create what clients and customers will buy. A “professional” housebuilder/carpenter might only use a hammer and a handsaw, but just because he/she doesn’t utilize nailguns, circular saws and other modern implements doesn’t mean he/she isn’t professional or a craftsman. Just saying.

Participant

Yea, I get what you’re saying Earl. I stand by my statement, though. Get some professional software instead of relying on what Apple offers for free in a computer.

Being professional isn’t just getting paid for what you do. It’s how you manage your business as well. And if you’re wondering how your business is going to provide DVDs because the free software you were using went away, well, that doesn’t exactly sound professional.

Participant

Thank you all for your comments, and yes, I see your point. I’m working at it. Anytime I make some money, I plow it right back into equipment/software upgrades. Now is an opportune time to upgrade from iDVD. Since I first posted, Apple has very kindly sent me their latest (last) iDVD 7.0.4, but I don’t intend to download it. I could use your advice in trying to find a more robust, more sophisticated, more professional 3rd party DVD software, something that will handle AVCHD and be able to burn Blu Ray. Toast Titanium, I understand, is a good product. Is there anything else? Has anyone had any experience with DVD Creator for Mac, for example? Appreciate any guidance,

Thank you,

Adobe. Edits AVCHD nativelyand burns DVD’s or whatever else you might like. You can make custom DVD menus in Photoshop and use them for your DVD menu in a couple of clicks.

Participant

I agree. Go with Adobe. Apple is WAY behind when it comes to providing a solution for Blu-ray

Participant

Cast another vote for Adobe, the initial expense and learning curve are worth it for the level of creative control Encore offers.

Participant

Why not….put my hat in the Adobe ring as well!

Participant

Thank you. Adobe it is.

MV

Participant

How did you get Apple to send you iDVD? Thanks! πŸ™‚

Participant

Go with Adobe.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap