Anyone with Zoom H2 experience

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello All,

I’m considering purchasing a field audio recorder – looking specifically at the Zoom H2. I’ve read lots and lots of good about it. My primary question is: can I plug a lavalier mic into the 1/8″ mic input on the Zoom H2 and just have the talent wear it like a wireless bodypack transmitter? Shoot video and then synch the audio from the H2 in post?

Just wondering if I will get as good quality using an external mic as everyone raves about with the built-in mics.

Does anyone see a problem with this idea? I’m trying to hold off on dropping $500-$700 on a good diversity wireless setup, though it is in the works. I know I would use the H2 for lots of other things as well.

Thanks for any input!

It is bulky and will not ALWAYS fit in pockets but where it can be carried by the talent a wired lav going into the H2 is a GREAT improvement on the overall quality of its recording. I have, though, when in dire straits, slipped it into a shirt or inside coat pocket with the audio cranked up and still obtained useable audio even muffled through the cloth, using the H2 onboard mics.

Participant

Thanks, EarlC – I appreciate your input – ordered one today. Any insider tips or lessons you’ve learned the hard way using the H2?

Participant

Read the operators manual and practice with it until you learn your switches, settings and sequences before you do any real work with it. It’s not intuative and many a first timer would “arm” the record thinking it was recordingand lose that scene’s audio (been there, done that the first time I used it).

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap