Another Newbie Begging for Critique

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey guys. So, this is my first year in high school (I am a freshman), and i am dying to go toBroadcastingclass next year. But to do so, i have to create a video showing how good I am. With that in mind, i decided that i would learn everything that icoulduntil i started the video. I started to explore with Vegas Pro 9 effects and plug-ins, and created this video. I am only editing it fewhours per weekend, because i have to study from 7:30 AM to 1:30 AM (being in all Honors classes is killing me =P), so i can’t get much video edited. So, this is my 1 and a halfdayof editing. Any critiques, suggestions and comments on the video are appreciated and welcomed! =D

Thanks Everybody!

Inactive

I forgot to post the video.. LOL

Well, here it is.

http://vimeo.com/6993035

Inactive

Other than the sound like someone is cleaning dishes. I thought it was really cool.

Participant

i was disappointed. Not because of the video content, but because the video was so short. I wanted to see more. Very cool experimental piece.

Inactive

Thanks guys!

About the sound, i was looking for a “Techno” beat, you know? But do you think i should change it?

And about thelength, the video itself is not that short. It is actually longer. I’ve added a couples of things since i uploaded that video, but since my pc is totally not an editing computer, it takes forever to render 5 minutes of 1080 HD. Thats why it actually have only 1:30 minutes. Consider this the”Sneak Peek” of my video. Once i truly finish it, i willdeletethe “test” and upload the whole HD video.

But what about the Color Correction/Grading? I’ve messed around A LOT with the Color Curves (To increase contrast, because the original footage looked a bit gray) and with Magic Bullet Quick Looks (Just to give an really cool look. =D) . What did you all think about it? Too much? Too little? Justenough? BTW, i was looking for a “Dramatic”/”DreamISH” look… Did i get it right?

Thanks for all comments guys!

Participant

OK – A couple of things.

Firstly, the opening really did grab me – I liked the flow and cinematography lots – until the kaleidescopic effects – they didn’t thrill me at all – in fact I found them distracting and would have preferred the original shot, especially the shot where the bird flies away.

While the music was good to start, it became “wrong” at some point (about midway through) – maybe look for another piece.

The ending was way too abrupt and I alo think you should increase the time a couple of minutes more (at least).

Inactive

After a few hours of editing, i also got tired of the kaleidescopic effect (yay! I finally learned the “official name” of the “mirror effect” lol) That is definitly being deleted of my final video.

Do you know where i can get some royalty free FREE music? I went to the Creative Commons website and went to the “search part”… But i dont thinki can get any really good music to go with my footage. Any suggestions are appreciated.. =D

I am still working on the video… The end is going to be “smooth”.. =D

Thanks guys for all suggestion! =D

Participant

Digital Juice has a royalty free library on sale today for 79.95 called BackTraxx2. It has around 1000 cuts. It is a great value.

There are a couple of free sites that you just have to credit the creator in you video. Here is one that I like. http://www.jimmyg.us/

Participant

Cville – You bet me to it. I love (and have lots of) Digital Juice stuff.

If you register on their website (http://www.digitaljuice.com) you can download lots of free stuff, including some MP3’s of some of their royalty free music.

Inactive

Hey guys!

Thanks for the suggestions. I specially likedhttp://www.jimmyg.us/. The guy is just awesome!

=D

Participant

I’m in agreement with the majority of the comments here:

1) The beginning looked amazing!

2) The music quickly became annoying; there was some sort of funny sound going on. As one person put it, like “cleaning dishes.”

3) The Kaleidoscope effect was interesting but I’m not sure how it fit into the video.

4) Digital Juice rocks. They have lots of sales and you can pick up some great music for not much money. Check out the StackTraxx which I think are still on sale.

5) The song by Jimmy G. and the guy from the Netherlands, “Stairway to Heaven” was incredible! I almost thought I was listening to Led Zeppelin.

shippocaio, you definitely have talent. Keep working on it and you’ll just keep getting better.

Participant

Cool stuff. Keep up the video production. You have a lot of talent and potential. Colors looked great. I liked the mirror effect for a few seconds, and was expecting something to carry the story to emerge from it. So you may want to stay away from effects and transitions unless it helps carry the story in some way.

Also, the shots you had to start out we very nice, but unfortunately, the tripod(I assume), was not very fluid, which hurt those beautiful compositions you had. If you don’t own a fluid tripod, may be something to invest in. Or at least rent for any reel or major projects.

One more thing, the music was very dramatic, but then I started to hear something, a voice or kitchen utensils or something so I assumed we were going to transition to some actors in a different scene.

Best of luck, you are on your way!!! Looking forward to the completed video.

Inactive

MY OBSERVATION: Interesting – shows promise. The short repetativemusic loop detracted from visuals images. In my world story is king – every visual and technique should support the story. Therefore, your point-of-view came throughas artsy-crafty where the audience arrives at theirown conclusion of what they just watched – whatever that may be? There is alot more to video production than pretty pictures – story is always king – how do you want your audience to react after watchingyour production- what do you want them to understand, learnor do?Looks like your are on your way by asking for honest feedback. Study the breath, widthand depth of video production and the communication artstomaster of this domain to become a great writer/producer/director!

Inactive

Hey guys!

Thanks for the amazing critique and comments! They were all honest and constructive…One of the reasons Videomaker rocks!

Well, i just put the whole video together and came up with the Final video. I kinda ran out of footage, so sorry for the total meaningless rain footage… =D

Also, there is the sound issue. I didn’t find a song that really fit the video, so i just used the “dishwasher song” (That’s what i am calling it lol). But on my next video, I am DEFINITLY going to choose my music with more caution.

The video is pointless. I admit. If i had to come up with something, i would say that the video is to show us that nature (as well as life) is amazing, and we can’t let ourselves to be blind to such beauty.

Well, here is the final piece. Hope you guys enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/7463014

Inactive

any comments on the final video?

=D

Shippo,

I dug the 2nd version. It had a much more coherent flow though I didn’t think the rain shots (which were nice) had much to do with your ‘nature’ context. I see you even did a lil’ somethin’ with your titles which also worked.

Lovely cinematography and a definite grasp of basic editing. Music nearly fit the piece (it would have without the backwards track underneath.) Good color, good exposure, mostly steady shots and those that weren’t didn’t detract from what was seen. However, ‘artsy’ pieces are easy. Just slow the pace and you can get away with a lot of stuff. When you’ve wrestled with some ‘directed’ imagery (i.e. documentary or narrative stuff) I wouldn’t mind seeing what you do with it.

You’ve definitely got they eye. Just be advised, ‘broadcast’ video courses generally don’t cater to getting cinematography style shots like those you have in your piece. They are generally ‘newsie’ in style so if you’re looking for a more ‘art’ feel, you’ll have to wait until you can get into a film course. At least in the broadcast course you’ll learn the cut and dry basics which you were going to need to know anyway.

Inactive

thanks composite 1!

you really thought they were steady? All of them were handheld, and i added a little bit of slow-motion (tip from Rebel without crew, by Robert Rodriguez. =D) I just added the rain shot because i ran out of footage. XD I will make sure that i post one of my “serious” work here later.

thanks!

Shippo,

Yeah, the handheld was fine. Handheld is fine when the motion doesn’t distract from the imagery. If you’re old enough to have seen episodes of ‘The Shield’ they use handheld exclusively. Long as it’s part of the shooting style and there are no ‘earthquake cam’ shots, you can get away with handheld. However, handheld should not be your first choice. Use a tripod whenever you can.

Don’t get me started on ‘RR’! I read that book in filmschool and though I appreciated his story, I have to wave the BS flag on some things he mentioned. Oh, and don’t get into the habit of ‘adding shots because you ran out of footage.’ If you don’t have anything else, then just end it. The rain shot was ‘pretty’ but since there was no ‘life’ present which prevailed through your other shots, it was just there.

Inactive

it may be just me, but I watched this video with no sound. I liked the general feel of the work. Some of the shots though had a jerky start or stop feel. For me, some of the shots didn’t start the pan soon enough, like you were composing the start point then panning. To me, if the shot is going to pan, it starts in the pan meaning i usually compose what I want to convey, then back up a bit from the pan direction and give the shot a little head time in the pan that i want to use and I go beyond the pan to ensure that i don’t have that usual camera shake of hitting the record stop button at the end of the shot i.e. more tail on the end of the shot. Not bad work though, just a couple of my thoughts.

John

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap