Anamorphic vs Non-anamorphic

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m about to start a new editing project in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and I’m stuck at the initial settings stage. Could someone explain to me what exactly anamorphic and non-anamorphic mean, and which one I should be editing AVCHD Full HD footage to for widescreen output to widescreen YouTube/video sharing websites, and to DVD?

arthouse

Participant

Anamorphic is when a recorded image looks squished, but is stretched to fill the desired resolution. A good example is DVCProHD. It records 960X720, but then it’s stretched so that is files 1280X720. HDV records 1440X1920, but is stretched to fill 1920X1080.

I don’t believe AVCHD records anamorphic formats. It is already recorded as 1280X720 or 1920X1080, and therefore doesn’t not need to be stretched by the editing program.

Participant

Oops, I was wrong. Looks like AVCHD records full 720p resolution, but there is an option between 1920X1080 and 1440X1080.

Do you know which one you recorded? If no, check the settings that your camera is currently set to. Most likely the settings have not changed between now and the last time you recorded…

Participant

Just as a little bit of ‘background’, ‘Arthouse’, ‘Anamorphics’ came into existence as special lenses perfected by a Dr Henri Chretein, of France many years ago. These lenses were ‘cylindrical’, in that they were ground with a curvature in one direction, only. That had the effect of compressing the (usually), horizontal aspect of the images, leaving the vertical aspect unaffected. Projection of the compressed images, back through the originating (or a similar) lens, had the effect of decompression, back to the original wider-than-standardformat again. ‘Anamorphic’ processes are now able to be carried out by means of camcorder software, when the camcorder is so set, so that the ‘squishing’ action becomes automatic. I have used little else as a format, since the early 1970’s, when I shot a 20-minute film feature dealing with the 1976 International Vintage Car Rally, which took place right here in New Zealand. The format, as I recall, was ‘Vista-vision’. I never had quite the same success with ‘Cinemascope’.

It is my understanding, that video may be shot perfectly well using an anamorphic lens, but it is hardly worth anyone’s trouble with the facility now built-into any reputable camcorder and available on-demand. During the 30 or more, years that I spent waiting for the rest of the world to ‘catch-up’, as it now has done,’Widescreen’ made me something of a social outcast. The Dunedin-based club, from which I have recently resigned, used a wall-projected image, but the mere button-press it took to change the projector to 16:9, was generally ‘too-much-trouble’ for the projectionist, and he wasn’t backward in making that known. Over several years of trying to have stuff ‘seen’, on only one occasion, was it ever shownin the correct aspect-ratio. Generally it was projected as a severely contracted 4:3 on a like-it-or-lump-it basis. When I pointed out the anomaly, the projectionist, pointedly re-commenced from the spot he had broken-off. I was the only club-member who was subjected to that treatment, as all stuff in 4:3 was re-commenced from the beginning. In the end, I voted-with-my-feet’.

Funny thing is, that, at present I have some news for them………and, it’s ‘all bad’. Revenge is sweet.

Participant

just deliver whatever your fullfillment needs are. Today was centercut animorphic HD. Whatever. It’ll be different tomorrow, depending on the network or station.

I can tell you, it use to be real easy to master a Dbeta and drop it in a fedex box. Today, dadgum, fullfillment takes much more time than it use to. Codecs, field orders, freakin compression whatever, h264 carried to the tenth freakin whatever the latest whatever… lol Makes a 40 year old editor fussy sometimes. I have to add a few hours to the clock today just to make a freakin file.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap