Analog to Digital (Hi8 footage to Final Cut Express)

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Analog to Digital (Hi8 footage to Final Cut Express)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have some old Hi8 tapes and my old Sony HandyCam with no firewire. What is the best way to convert this footage onto my Mac with Final Cut Express. I dont want to buy converting software since I already use FCE. I just want to know what kind of adapter to by so that when I go into FCE and click capture it will capture what is on my HandyCAM.

Grinner Hester
      Participant

Your handycam doesn’t have firewire does it? If you can borrow a digital 8 camera, you can use it’s firewire and it’ll play hi8 just fine. Outside of that, you’re lookin’ at a cheap analog break out box.

composite1

Bob,

For the ‘macweenies’ that just gotta’ do some old school capturing:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/625264-REG/Elgato_Systems_10020840_Video_Capture_USB_Analog.html

Anonymous
      Inactive

Canopus Twin Pac 100 will handle that

D0n
      Participant

sony trv 350 plays digital 8, hi 8 , and has firewire out…. I got one used for $8.00 or so and use it’s vcr mode to capture analogue up to “svideo, and dv capture…

one would work for you if you can find one.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best cameras for YouTube — 2021

So you’re all set to start your new YouTube channel where you’ll show how you create wigs for dogs with bald spots. Great! But before you get started, you’ll need a camera. We’re here to help you wade through the...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.