Analog to Digital converter suggestion… PLEASE!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Analog to Digital converter suggestion… PLEASE!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’ve spent the last six hours reading up on converters,frame rates, formats, compressionet. al. but have not been able to answer one simple question;

Whatconverters don’t lose any video quality?

I’m converting hi-8 analog from a Sony TVR65, and I don’t want to do it twice.

Please, please, please, someone make a suggestion. This has to be one of the most common projects on the planet.

Thanks!!!

-Sherman

Inactive

Canopus/Grass Valley ADVC 110 or 300

Participant

The converters recommended by johnboy are by far the best converters, but if you were to use a digital 8 camcorder as the converter, it will cost less and produce the same quality if not better. I doubt you’ll be able to find a digital 8 camcorder in a retail store, but perhaps a friend has one you can borrow, or you could just pick one up on ebay or a pawn shop for around $50-$100. Many Sony Digital 8’s can play back Hi8, but some cannot. Just check the specs and it will tell you.

I like this method because if you use the canopus converter, you have to send the signal through A/V cables to the converter and than from the converter to the computer via a firewire IEEE 1394 cable. When the signal passes through the A/V cables there will be a slight loss in quality. If you use the Digital 8, the signal travels directly to the computer from the camera via firewire without having to use the additional llossy A/V cables. In addition, the canopus converter costs around $200and can’t be used for anything else.The Digital 8 camcorder is cheaper and now you have an extra camera for whatever.

Best Regards,

Corey

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap