AG HMC40 How to manual white Balance but still auto focus?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders AG HMC40 How to manual white Balance but still auto focus?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Newbie here: I’ve been trying to white balance in manual mode but then when I switch to auto mode because I need help focusing, everything goes back to Auto including White Balance?

“…when I switch to auto mode because I need help focusing, everything goes
      back to Auto….”

Michelle,

That unfortunately the joy’s of consumer cameras and the ‘idiot proof mode’ (auto mode) manufactures deem such cameras need as they believe basic users are unwilling to learn manual modes.

Okay, you are in luck. On the one hand you need to learn how to shoot in manual mode anyway and it just so happens your cam has a handy Manual Mode (see pg 40 in your Operating Instructions Manual.) Now in MM as you’ve already figured out, you can do a manual WB. To help you with focusing use your equally handy Focus Assist button (pg 41 OIM) to get a good focus in MM. The only time you should contemplate using auto focus or auto anything if the shoot demands will leave you no time to make the switch (i.e. indoor to outdoor suddenly or tracking a moving target on the fly.) Auto modes will work at the camera’s capability which in some instances is just fine, but not for everything. BTW, your cam’s Auto Mode is all or nothing. So if you want to control your image Manual it is….

If you don’t have a copy of your manual, here’s the online version;

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/business/provideo/op_manuals/AG-HMC40_oi.pdf

Inactive

Thanks much…producer/editor learning to shoot–big chicken when it comes to manual but will try!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap