After Effects Equivelent

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I personally don’t own After Effects but I know you can do some cool things with it. Is there a competing product to after effects?

Tony

Participant

In the opinions of many, including myself quite often, no. That said, of course their are. I use to own Aura (discontinued) and I loved it’s stroke recorder. Everything else I still went to AE for. More and more folks today are into Motion as it’s budled with Final Cut Studio. Mighty capable app… and less than AE if you look at the bundle. It’s fair to mention flame in today’s comparisons with AE. Use to be apples to oranges, hence the seven figure price difference but today a capable artist can do anything with after effects that a flame artist can on their best day. Bold ass statement but the dang truth. Then look at al the 3D apps used qite 2Desqe today. Sometimes the user just wants to import some images and move the camera arund ya know? And lets not forget the users out there that push their favorite NLEs far beyond just editing, making them effects boxes all their own. I guess what I’m saying is yeah, man, there are many effects solutions out there. Each shine in different areas. Bottom line is it will, at the very least, increase your marketability to master after effects.

Participant

I used some Boris software about 5 years ago and you can do some nice work with it but it didn’t really come close and in the CS5 suite I use AE even more than before. I’m a bit bias as I’m a flat out AE junkie but I just haven’t seen anything else that comes close in the DV relm.

Participant

Grinner / WSanford

Thanks for the input. I don’t see AE being in my budget for awhile.

Participant

I can’t imagine being without it. I edit in an Avid world so it’s just become a starderd part of post-production here. An upgrade from adobe means more bells and whistles where as it’s just bug fixes from Avid. lol I mean really, it’s not like they have updated their DVE….EVER. at all. Not even a little bit. I see a natural match and many years ago I thought Avid and adobe should just sign a deal and make AE avids DVE.It is anyway.

I tried Pinnacle Commotion and Boris FX years ago. Started fooling around with AFX 4.5 way back when but didn’t get serious using it until 5.5. The only compositing program I’d say rivals and exceeds AFX is the Foundry’s NUKE. However, NUKE is on a whole other order of magnitude according to capabilities and definitely price. The major diff is NUKE uses ‘node-based’ compositing and AFX uses ‘layers-based’.

However, I agree with Grinner in that a solid AFX artist can still throw the $@%@! down with it and they have done it for years. Personally, I hated Boris. AFX was so much simpler to use and with a couple of tutorial books, the concepts were easy to grasp. Though I’m still an Avid fan, I’ve been gravitating towards Premiere Pro. The ability Bridge gives you within the production suite is tough to beat. Now that Adobe is pushing Premiere to be the challenger to FCP, it’s unlikely they’ll team up with Avid or anyone else anytime soon. Too bad though, better collaborative linking with avid would be nice!

Bottom line though, whether you’re a one-man post-house or a big-time boutique you can turn out some outstanding stuff with AFX.

Participant

Actually I kind of consider myself lucky how things turned out with Premiere and the whole Adobe suite. Up until CS5 when the intergration was matched with true 64 bit, Premiere was good but not that mutch of a contender compared to some other NLE’s. The dynamic link between the software in the Adobe suite is where the real power of the suite comes from and that wasn’t really worth two shakes of a cats tail till the power of 64 bit, 16 gig’s of RAM and a smoking CPU that is so fast it seems illegal.

For me AE is the the center of the suite, Premiere is what I use to import and kind of just manage the video file from, more like a pallet for paint. I color correct in AE, all my effects, unless its a simple cross fade I’m linking to AE or Soundbooth. I haven’t even used the titler in PP in so long I can’t remember but that could be more from the horrible chance of flashbacks from “Title Decko”, shutter!

To be completely honest, if AE wasn’t in the suite…I’d probly be a FCP guy.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap