Aerial Cinematography by Helicam

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I recently started a blog covering the ins and outs of using remotely
      piloted helicopters in film-making that I hope others will find useful.

http://aerial-video.blogspot.com/

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Nice blog, I’m interested in aerial video for a near future, but I don’t want to buy any top of the line equipment (I will not use it that often you know). I thought about visiting a hobby shop and make a custom RC helicopter to mount a Pocket Cam. I don’t know if a Pocket Cam will be able to give me clear images, but I think it will serve well for what I need it (mostly videos for the internet). I found this DIY Helicopter that seems decent and I think it should be around the $2000 range to build. I have one question about aerial videography, how do see what you are recording?

Participant

Thanks! Do you have any previous experience flying radio controlled aircraft? Knowing this would help me give you the most appropriate advice. The pocket cam you use needs to have live video out while recording. If not some can be hacked to get it. The video out signal is then downlinked to a small SD monitor. Because you have your hands full flying the aircraft, most have a camera operator that views this signal and guides the camera from a separate radio system. Otherwise you are just flying around hoping to get lucky. Starting from zero, it usually takes a year or so of learning to get something that you wouldn’t be embarrassed to post on-line.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Well I don’t have any experience at all flying a radio control aircraft so a good year soundreasonableto learn it pretty well. If not I will post online my first helicam crash :-). “The video out signal is then downlinked to a small SD monitor”, does that mean that the video signal its transfer live using a wirelesstransmitter? One curiosity,is it reallynecessaryto have the camera control on a separate radio system? Can the camera be place on a static position, lets say looking down at a 45 degree angle?

Participant

Yes, the video out signal is transmitted wireless to the ground. The camera can be placed in a static position but very soon you will probably become frustrated with the results you get going this route. You can control the camera from the same radio, but like I mentioned, you will have your hands (end eyes) busy just flying the aircraft.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap