Advisable Tripod For Noobs?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Which tripod (s) would be best for a noob who has a consumer-sized camcorder, but would probably later switch to a Sony FX7 or the Canon equivalent. Something that has a smooth fluid motion and sturdy enough fo a pro-sumer sized. Sorry, it’s such a common question, but I’m don’t knwo much about video-grade tripods. (It’s not like in photography where you just get any Manfrotto with a decent $100 ball head.)

Participant

I’ve been using this one since I started in 2004. It’s good for a noob, but in a few years you may want to upgrade to something with pan and tilt drag. But this is a sturdy, smooth tripod and I’ve never found it to be annoying.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131444-REG/Libec_THM20_TH_M20_Aluminum_2_Stage_Tripod.html

Inactive

I’ve used several pro-models through some people I know (in the $300 price range) and they’ve been okay, but not spectacular. My biggest success is a Velbon PH-358; the movement is very smooth and it works great. I use a Panasonic AG-DVC7 and it’s a tad too big for it, but not horrible.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Hand-held Stabilizers Buyer's Guide

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap