Advice for a studio cam

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I want to do direct recording to a computer. the cam doesn’t need onboard storage, sound, or power. the key is to make the unit as small as possible. I’ve seen some broadcast grade stuff but it is all $10K and up.

Price range under $3K

I have done my own research and have come up bust, that’s why I’m asking for help.

Participant

I dont think you’re going to find a studio camera for under $3k dude.

Participant

yea kinda figured that, oh well.

Participant

If you really want to record directly from camera to computer, you’ll have to throw down some money for computer hardware too.

First you’d need a camera with HD-SDI.

Then, if you have a mac pro, you’ll need a AJA Kona3 card. If you have a macbook pro, you’ll need either AJA ioHD or the Matrox MXO2 along with an express slot adapter. Whether you have a mac pro or macbook pro, I think you also need a RAID if you want to record uncompressed video. If you want to convert it to Apple ProRes422 HQ on the capture, I think firewire800 will suffice.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap