Ads by Google waste

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

The single most significant waste of your time and money is Ads by Google. Just take a look right here on Videomaker and see where your ads are being placed – marketing to the choir.

That is why I quit, because where Google was putting my ads was largely reaching my competitors and NOT prospective customers.

Really, REALLY look into how this campaign works, and how much more effective your advertising and marketing dollars and time can be spent by utilizing resources that get you consumer eyeballs. Imagine, you’re paying for clicks that mount up because your competition is checking you out, not because you are making a sales pitch.

Participant

Seriously. As I’m reading your post, I’m vividly aware that google has placed my ad in the section next to this column. Which is interesting, because as you say, I’m NOT trying to advertise to myself, or to other videographers. Stupid google. Not as think as they smart they are.

Yes, it is one thing for Google ad placement to position services and products video producers need and use, and another entirely to place ads for video production services as if WE’RE the ones who are buying into the services of our competitors.

They make the money and we waste ours because the ad placement isn’t well thought out – nor do they care because Google’s bottom line is “show me the money” not let us do some marketing for you that will return on your investment.

I tested this market for a LONG time and what has proven to be true is what disappointed me about their formula. Using the terms “video” or “videography” or even “wedding videographer” to determine placement of Google ads on forums and other web sites is NOT the right direction. There should be other algorithms and programming in place that determines the difference in my ad for making your videos affordable here on Videomaker, or Video University, for example, rather than concentrating them on places brides flock to like The Knot or Wedding and Event Venues listings, etc.

Again the ONLY click through action I’m going to get from video forums and such are those of the competition checking me out and I am paying for them to do it with no hope of a R.O.I. for my marketing dollars.

Inactive

As a digital marketing professional who focuses on Google as the main source of revenue (I do freelance video production, and am very passionate about both) I would recommend learning just a bit more about the settings youy have chosen in your Google AdWords accounts. Showing up on sites like Videomaker is part of the “content network”, which means Google finds pages/sites that have the kind of content that closely matches the keywords that you have chosen to target. So recognize at least that Google (and Yahoo & MSN/Bing) are actually pretty good at finding those relevant pages/sites. The good news is you can A). turn this functionality off B) keep it on but choose the individual sites that you want your content to appear on. Option A is the easiest, and almost always what we do for our clients. But, in rare cases option B does work when time is spent researching the sites, but I completely realize that no one has that amount of time, except those that get paid to do it. It’s the same thing the video production industry is seeing now with the influx of cheap digital cameras and editing software… anyone can do it, but the pros do it well.

I’m not trying to make a pitch for digital agencies, I’m trying to offer good advice for the folks in this forum that have done nothing but provide sound advice for me. You’d be surprised at how much money a well optimized search campaign can make and save you.

I suspect, Clayton, that I will sooner than later be seeking your assistance. Thanks, Earl

Inactive

Advertising with Google can both work and prove a complete waste of time, it depends on how you strategize

Participant

The Google Ads are section of most pagesisalso something I barely ever take notice of. I’ve also seen the multi-page ads that provide clickable arrows for scrolling through the pages. Considering that the user will have to click five pages just to see an ad, it seems like doing “cheap” ads with Google is a hard take. One of the smarter moves that Google made, however, is charging money only if the ad is clicked (specially navigated to through Google ads).

Participant

I have tried Google Ad words and it was a waste of money for me. I found that joining http://www.linkmarket.com/it is another way to get exposure for free and/or low cost. You ask other webmasters if you can exchange links and you are limited to 3 a day if you do it for free. You can get unlimited link exchanges if you pay for full membership price $49.85 a year. I do the “free” for right now.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap