Adobe Premiere Pro — still image glitch

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Adobe Premiere Pro — still image glitch

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m putting together a 6-minute corporate video for a client which incorporates still images. The editing has been going smoothly (except for some choppy handling of Mpeg-2 stock footage), and all of a sudden, it seems Premiere refuses to handle a series of JPEG and PNG stills.

Of all the stills in the video, it’s only the ones around 4:00 that get glitchy. Premiere doesn’t display the image on the monitor, but with "Motion" hilighted under Effect Controls, I can still drag the image outline around and resize it. I thought maybe I had accidentaly turned on an Image Outlines Only option (like in Flash), but when I render and export the footage, the images are absent as well.

I tried deleting the stills and reimporting them (in both JPEG and PNG format), with a curious result. They still don’t display when the playhead is over them, but when I drag their outlines around, the actual images do show up–upside down! Now when I render the footage, the images flash, alternating between right-side-up and upside-down. Pretty weird.

Has anyone else come across this problem? I’ running version 7.0.0 of premiere, and can’t find anything like an update besides pro 1.5. Does adobe even provide patches for their software? Any ideas about what I might try? I could really use the help, thanks.

Best,
      Steve

Inactive

Steve,

I have had something similar happen to me a long time ago only the picture frame area would turn green instead of showing the actual image. What I found out back then was if I was using a lot of hi-res JPEG pictures, PPro was having memory issues in trying to display all of them correctly. It then seems like when I was trying to render the timeline the green image would be rendered instead of the actual picture image. The only way I got rid of the green window was to delete the picture from the timeline and then delete all of the accumulated rendered files from the menu up on top. Then I would start dropping the pictures down again on the timeline and it seemed to work.

If you are dealing with less than 1 GIG of RAM and your are dealing with 100 or more JPEG pictures, that could be your problem. I have since then increased to 2 GIG of RAM and I try and not go over 100 pictures (if they are hi-res) per a timeline. If I need more room, I would create another project and continue on there. Then all I do is render out the timeline to an AVI and combine everything to get the final result. Im not saying that this will work for you but its worth a try if nothing else.

Doing some HD maintenance wont hurt either. Try running DEFRAG after you delete the rendered files will help too.

RAM

Inactive

Thanks for the tip, Video-maniac. Even though I’m working 1GB of RAM, I’ve got a lot of hi-res stills on the timeline. And I also find that they sometimes turn green and get rendered that way. After I replaced the photos on the timeline and deleted the reder files, I’ve got my images working properly, for now (fingers crossed). Thanks for the help.

Participant

I am a motion graphics artist and work with thousands of high resolution still’s in a single timeline daily and have never had any problems so I would say that you should never have a problem with having too many stills in a project or timeline. Also since it occurs during rendering also I would have to say that it is not a problem with the computer at all. Definitly not any sort of fragmentation issue or lack of ram as these things would just slow the render down not affect its quality. (In fact defraging is not near as important as people make it out to be. While you do need to defrag every once and a while your better off doing it less than more just because of the wear and tear on the drive. The first thing I would do is try a different project to ensure that it is not a setting error or a currupt file. If this does not work then reinstall the software. Being that this happens during rendering it almost has to be a software problem.

Inactive

v-lab:

While I agree with you in theory, I also disagree with you as well. You have to remember that we are talking about totally different hardware here. Just because you dont have a problem doesnt mean that everyone shouldnt have a problem. You may have a very nice computer with top of the lines parts AND it’s configured exactly the way it should be but maybe the person having trouble here doesnt. Another thing is that this topic or problem I should say has actually been talked about on Adobes forum and the consensus was that it was a memory/hardware related issue.

On a side note: I only suggested defragging his HD because I have no idea if he ever has done that since he picked up his PC. It was merely a possible suggestion as to maybe helping him out with his situation. If he is using a lot of virtual memory (which Im sure he is), it helps out performance wise if he can keep his files together instead of scattered all over the places on his HD.

You know as well as I that the problem could come from many areas. I do agree with you that maybe reinstalling the software would be another thing to try but because his problem occurs randomly versus all the time, Im not real sure that this is the problem. But Ive been around these things long enough to know that eliminating possibilities is how you debug PCs.

RAM

Participant

I do agree as well that defraging is usefull and will speed up the computer. I also know from experience that it is not going to make a huge difference in performance. This being said I do defrag once a week on my produciton computer. I dont think that fragmentation would ever have anything to do with his problem but it is definitly something to check. I have seen stranger things with computers over the years for shure.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap