Adobe CS3 Ultra

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m looking fora good guide or manual to help teach me how to use ULTRA. Any help and guidance would b greatly appreciated.

thanks

The training DVD that comes with it is a pretty good starting point. Or maybe that’s just Ultra 2.

Is CS3 a newer version of Ultra than Ultra 2, or is it a package that includes V2? I seem to remember when I bought it that it was about to be renamed to CS3 and would be part of a package but I can’t remember if the actual software was being updated.

Anyway, I use V2 so if you have any specific questions I may be able to help if you’re stuck.

Participant

CS3 comes along with Adobe’s Production Premium Suite (Window’s Version Only) — I do not see a training guide with it. Serious Magic created Ultra and Adobe bought them out then incorporated it into it’s suite of Products — I really need some sort of guide to get started as I have no clue what I’m doing. I’m more than a Newbie — I’m a Newbie that has some ideas but no reference to execute them. I also have a project to work on (my 5th Grader will have my head if I can put something together — quality is not high on their list of criteria) — Help!

thanks

This might help (although you should already have it, or at least a link to it):

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Ultra/3.0/ultra_cs3_help.pdf

I’ve just confirmed that the version you have is all but identical to the version I use so feel free to ask anything specific.

I’m told that AE is much better at keying using the keylight plugin, and that may well be so (and I’m experimenting with it now), but I can achieve excellent results with Ultra. As long as your lighting is set up properly, Ultra will do a fantastic job. I light my screen with cheap halogen work lights (bounced off the side walls and ceiling to light it evenly – it doesn’t need to be very bright, just evenly lit) and to light the subject I use two 5400K softboxes (key & fill) with a 300 watt backlight with magenta gel fitted.

That wasn’t meant to be a ‘how to light your green screen’ – it’s just the setup I use to get good results with Ultra.

Participant

Thanks for the info .. one thing that I can say for sure … my lighting was terrible … many shadows … but what I’m stuck working with….. What is AE — I’m not sure what that stands for? I will check out your link later — I was under the impression that Ultra does well with uneven lighting? I guess, we’ll see. I will certainlly take you up on your offer of help — I hope you will not regret it. Thanks in advance.

Oh sure, Ultra will handle lighting that is less than perfect, but the more evenly lit the screen, and the better lit the subject, the less messing around you’ll need to do and the better your edges will be. If you’re stuck with really badly lit footage then it will help if you first adjust the Pre-Processing Color Settings, although if it is very badly lit, the end result will not be ideal. You can see the changes as they happen, though, so it’s a matter of making adjustments and seeing how it affects your footage. Scrub through it via the slider on the right and you’ll see how things are going.

Do try to keep the clips you’re working on short, though. If you import huge chunks of footage and try to work on it then you’ll have problems. You could download a trial version of Sony Vegas, or something, to crop it into manageable pieces.

AE stands for After Effects, from Adobe. I’m only just starting with that, but I use Ultra regularly so feel free to ask about that. If you’re struggling then upload a 5 second AVI cropped from your footage and I’d be happy to give you some setting numbers for Ultra that will give you a good key from it.

Participant

Ok thanks…. I’ll give it a try and let you know what develops

thanks.

Participant

I just checked and we still have a few copies of the old Serious Magic Ultimate Ultra training DVDs available:

http://videoguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ULTIMATEULTRA&Category_Code=

Gary

If you’re still struggling then I recommend you grab a copy of that – it’s very helpful when you’re getting started.

• Viewing 8 reply threads

8   +   3   =  

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap