Adding a Mic Jack

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a JVC Everio (GZ-MG155U) hard disk (miniature sized) camcorder that has excellent SD video quality and a bunch of other useful features, only that it has no microphone input. My dad has engineering experience and maybe able to fix this. All we’re trying to do tap into the camera’s internal microphone wiring and add an RCA jack without dissassembling the entire thing.

Does anyone know of any articles on how to do this with my camcorder, or any tips on getting to the onboard microphone without tearing everything apart?

Inactive

That sounds a bit risky. Besides having to find the right wire and hope that the signal levels are right, the built-in mic is probably a condenser mic, which means it’s getting power somehow, maybe a sort of “phantom power” on the signal line. And what voltage would that be at? Would it harm your external mic?

If your camcorder has an AV connector, it MIGHT be able to INPUT an audio signal while you’re recording. You might want to investigate that possibility. (Of course, you’d have to get the external mic level boosted up to line level, but many mic mixers or adapters can do that.

And if all else fails, you could shoot “double-system”, using a seperate audio recorder. I’ve read that Zoom recorders are popular for that.

Good luck!

Ken

Participant

Thanks for the advice.

That sounds a bit risky. Besides having to find the right wire and hope that the signal levels are right, the built-in mic is probably a condenser mic, which means it’s getting power somehow, maybe a sort of “phantom power” on the signal line. And what voltage would that be at? Would it harm your external mic?

How to wire it isn’t our problem, it’s trying to get it open and find the wires. It has been done, though, with a bigger camera, and the audio works fine (http://www.thelasercutter.com/Camcorder%20Hack.htm). The mic for this camcorder is probably also a condenser.

If your camcorder has an AV connector, it MIGHT be able to INPUT an audio signal while you’re recording. You might want to investigate that possibility.

I’ve tried this before, and it seems impossible get audio input via A/V while recording video with the camcorder. When Analog (A/V) input is active, my camcorder attemptsto receive both video and audio no matter what I plug in. If audio is connected with no video source, the screen goes blank. I have even contacted JVC support on this, and receiving feedback that it will not work.

What I was looking for wereinstructions on how to get into a camcorderof my type in order to add an audio input. Just pleaselet me know if you find something like this.

Participant

After a few minutes of searching the camcorder and finding the right place to un-screw, we were able to find the tiny stereo microphone wires, cut themto sodder a mic jack, and then drill a hole in the bottom panel to mount the jack. The results were surprisingly good. All microphones I have tested work – including some cheap PC mics, the impedance is not bad, and the audio level is fine (definitely a better amplifier than the experience I had with a computer).

I plan to create a blog in the future telling how to add a mic jack to a JVC Everio camcorder.

Thanks forthe advice.

Inactive

Exactly what I would have done…perhaps also matching the impedance withthe new mic

Was it mono or stereo mic? So you soldered the wiresto a 1/8th jack? I take it when you plug the external mic in, it cuts out the existing mic…

Adding pics to your blog helps

Good going dood…Most would have wimped out and started crying

Participant

The mic jack was a 1/8″ stereo jack that was wired into the camcorder’s stereo (probably a condenser) mic. Yeah, I’ll make a blog about it when I have time, and I have plenty of pictures too.

Thanks for the comments

Participant

Here’s the post that links to the blog “Adding Microphone Microphone Input to JVC Everio Camcorder”.

http://videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/adding-mic-input-to-jvc-everio-camcorder

Participant

If you want to tap XLR you can also get a juicedLink. They make great XLR to 1/8th inch adapters. High quality.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap