Action safe

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jumpymonkey9
      Participant

Is it a good idea to downsize all the video in a project to the action safe zone? Are there any televisions that display anything outside of that area? Would it just be safe to downsize it to make sure that everything is seen, even if some stuff doesn’t need to be? Thanks,

Lee

Anonymous
      Inactive

jumpymonkey9 Wrote:

Is it a good idea to downsize all the video in a project to the action safe zone? Are there any televisions that display anything outside of that area? Would it just be safe to downsize it to make sure that everything is seen, even if some stuff doesn’t need to be? Thanks,

Lee

Not really! Rather than running the risk of having bars on the side of a TV, I wouldnt downsize the video at all. Every TV has different viewing ranges and while some may be more restricted, others might have more of the tube or screen exposed thus showing more of the available video. Besides, you should be keeping your area of interest somewhat in the middle or to the side thirds. The video along the edges is usually expendable.

The only thing that you do need to watch out for are titles or other elements such as a bug in a corner or lower thirds. There you need to make sure that they are inside the title safe zones.

RAM

jumpymonkey9
      Participant

Thanks for the advice. I just want to make sure it looks the best for everyone. And that saves me lots of trouble of going thru and adjusting everything, hehe.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Another thing that I forgot about is what if someone with a 16:9 screen was watching your 4:3 video. On the 16:9 screen, all of the available video would be viewable because there is more screen available on the sides. If you shrank your video down to the safe zone, you would see that on that 16:9 screen. Not only would you have the normal bars which results from a 4:3 video on a 16:9 screen, you would be adding 2 more bars from you shrinking down the screen to the safe action zone.

Shoot with all those strips on the screen, your TV will start looking like a Zebra. X-D

RAM

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN