Accesories

• This topic has 10 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I just bought my first camcorder, a Canon HF S10. I’m intended to record (and sell !) various high school game films. The battery pack that came with the camera (BP-807) is good for about 90 minutes which is barely enough – and therefore insufficient. Canon sells replacements for $80. Ugh! On Ebay I see equivalent replacements running two for $65, etc. The blurb on postings say these batteries have to be charged in the supplied special charger, not in-camera. What the the experience you guys have with these type of battery packs? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Inactive

Himoblile, Thanks for the lead. I like the idea and I see they run about $25.Question: How does the Camcist deal with varying zoom?

I will want a back-up battery however. When I shoot still photography on a site I have backup batteries and backup memory. Losing a shot (or worse a client) because of the lack of a battery is not a good thing. So back to my question, anyone know about these replacement batteries?

Participant

Hi Sandra

I know they are a lot of money, but I think you should invest in a longer life battery.

When I started out (doing just home video) one of the first things I added on was a six hour battery (which is also great on vacation – I don’t miss much). Since then, I always get an extended life battery for whichever camcorder I get.

At the very least, you should always have a spare 2 hour battery.

Inactive

Thanks Birdcat. An extended battery sounds the way to go, I agree. The question is about these 3rd party batteries. They are less expensive (about a third the cost) but they cannot be charged on camera. Are they <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>truly</span> compatible? Is there some other downside besides the special off-camera charger?

Participant

Hi Sandra –

I have purchased 3rd party batteries and have been burned (figuratively, not literally). I thought I was saving some money by buying a compatible battery on eBay – it even charged on-camera. Problem is, it lost the ability to take a full charge after about six charges (yes, I know very well about memory issues – this was fully discharged) plus the casing broke after a few months – Wasted $40.

Now I only buy brand name (camera maker or a good name like Anton Bauer).

Look at various online sources (B & H springs to mind) – Also, if a local camera store is going out of business that can be a great deal too (I picked up a couple of batteries when Circuit City closed down).

Participant

try these:

as a wedding shooter, I need to recharge multiple types of batteries in the feild.

these work fine and you can power the camera with it’s ac cord with one of these.

they can be bought cheap and make sure you test your run time..and mark it on the box, also most camcorders will shut off when you disconnect the ac cord, so be mindful of that. as an added bounus, you can power an led or cfs light in a paper chinese lantern for a portable studio light.

Participant

Here is my personal variation on the power box I posted earlier.

I gutted a powerbox i got at a garage sale for ten bucks. The air compressor was broken and was dead weight.

I added a power strip and 3 plug cig adaptor to it. I have chargers for “AA” my d-slrs and sony camcorders.

It is built into a cheap $12.00 tool box.

I can turn it on, close the lid and the main leads for my camcorder and (12 volt socket to plug in a light) run out the top, spare double a’s and slr batteries recharge on the inside. I set this down by my tripod and can run one camera for hours without interruption, while charging several other batteries at the same time.

I can plug the whole unit into my vehicle cig plug to recharge when I’m in the vehicle.

DOn, You are a mad scientist, very nice.

Inactive

himobile , DOn and Birdcat:

Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Sandra, Do yourself a favor. Buy a Camcist from B&H Photo. It was initially intended to video sports while being able to watch the event.The advantage to you is that you can close the LCD,which drains most of the battery’s charge. You will find that you can video perfectly just by viewing your event through the Camcist’s frame. You may find that videoing this way will extend your battery to the point of solving your problem. The bonus is now you can also watch the event freely.

Sandra, If you zoom in on a tight shot of a particular player you should reference your LCD to make sure you get the shot for the client, but to see that player perform in the scope of the game, in and around other participants, you will of course need to zoom out to give yourself a better perspective of how that player performs within the team dynamic. I have been videoing sporting events for the last 2 years and having the Camcist lets me be a fan and also get the footage. Plus, with the Camcist you can see what’s coming into the frame and what is leaving the frame, it opens your vision dramatically. As far as a battery, the moderator and Don have great suggestions. Don’t scimp on a battery, buy the best you can. I always carry two batteries with me, but because I very rarelyuse my LCD I don’t usually get to the backup battery.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap