Acceptable 2nd Camera to FX1

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

In about a year I’m going to get a second FX1 or better, but in the meantime I want to find something acceptable to serve as a tripod cam. What would be the least expensive SD solution?

Participant

What a beautiful idea with the honeymoon camera. Hank, you’re a genious!

I had no idea I could have a second camera that inexpensively. I’m very excited about that. I thought a GL2 was my only option.

Gotta go shopping!

Participant

I found several things; among them is a Sony HDR-HC3, a palm-held HDV camera for about 1K. It’s 5-Lux, but an HDV. It’s a question of how important is lux vs HDV.

I also love the idea of having the groom’s dad catch the reaction.

Participant

I don’t imagine I’m following the beaten path on this one. I now have two cameras, an FX1 and an HC3. Both are HD, but the HC3 is a consumer camera. I justified buying the HC3 because:

1. It would simply sit on the tripod.
      2. I felt that shrinking the footage of an SD would limit me too much, and that having 1080i would do the trick.
      3. I don’t need an significant onboard microphone.
      4. I don’t need it to do anything special.
      5. The most important thing is image quality.
      6. I like the idea of keeping everything HD.
      7. I like the idea of my clients knowing everything is HD.

I paid $923, and hope I don’t regret it. My huge concerns are lighting (it’s 5-lux), and finding that important features are not adjustable.

Participant

Down here in Arizona everyone gets married outdoors!

Yeah, it may be tha I need to put lights on my camera, but then I become just as obtrusive as those blasted photographers. Thanks for the followup.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap