A question before I switch to FCP

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Since Sony Vegas Pro on my PC is so very unstable I am considering moving to an IMac and FCP. The one question I have is I have alot of AVI files, mp4 files and raw exports from my hd camerera are in mt2s format. In Vegas I could just drag any of these clips to my timeline and go to town (assuming no crashing of course). It’s my understanding FCP doesn’t work this way, but rather if you don’t have .mov files you’ve got to convert the files first. Sounds like that would be a huge pain in the rear. Is this true? if so what tools are available with the FCP suite to convert and do they do batch converting.

Just a little perspective on what I’m using it for. I’m retired so I am not worried about developing skills that are relevant to the industry. I’m just playing around making fun little hd movies for friends and familiy. I like playing around adding special effects, titles, even have a little green screen studio set-up in my basementbut I’m definately an amatuer and intend to stay that way – might do a wedding for a friend’s kids for free but that’s about as close to a pro as I ever intend to get.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Participant

I’d hang back till you see how it lands with the latest changes. Yes it’s true right now you’d want to convert your avi files as you go. I think 7 will import them, it just takes longer to convert than if you made a QT first. That said…. avid on a mac eats avis with no worries, as does premiere pro.

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
    Participant

Having use Vegas, Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro I can honestly say that I prefer Premiere. FCP has a higher learning curve than the other two, although if you learn to use Premiere Pro it will be a lot more easier learning FCP (they are very similar). One thing I didn’t liked about FCP was that I needed to convert the videos to Apple ProRes in order for FCP to run smoothly. You can import many clips to FCP timeline, but you will need to pre render them inside FCP in order to see them (unless you have them in Apple Pro Res). Final Cut Studio has Compressor which lets you convert your footage to a FCP friendly format (Apple ProRes).

In Premiere Pro (especially CS5) you can import and edit your videos by just dragging them to the timeline (just like Vegas) and view the clips without pre render (including AVI, MP4, MTS, M2TS and many others). Although if you have too many effects in your clips it will not run smoothly (pre render is needed there). The real power of Premiere is when you combine it with After Effects, Photoshop, Encore and Audition, but from what you described I believe you don’t need to use all this.

I started a forum discussion a couple of years ago (Wow, that long!!!) title “A Difficult decision…which NLE“. In that discussion you will read about the personal preference of Videomaker community regarding NLE.

<h1 class=”topictitle”></h1>

Inactive

Honestly, I’ve used Premier, Sony and FCP. I found FCP the easiest one to use.

But I would definitely wait until the FCP X is released this summer (or when ever it is supposed to come out).

Participant

FCP X is supposed to release this month. I would wait for people to buy it and test it out to see how it works. Supposedly it will be able to work with many more file formats and codecs, which could eliminate the need to transcode to ProRes.

Participant

Lee, i would consider a trialversion of Edius neo or the more pro Edius 6 from Grassvalley.

Low learning curve and user friendly and the most stable NLE on the market.

After Premiere pro and FCP a miracle to work with.

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap