A good Lavalier Microphone

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I need a decent Lavalier microphone that is $150.00 or under. It can be wired or wireless. Of course I’d prefer wireless, but I’ve heard for that price the quality would be much better on a wired mic.

I’m making 10minute educational videos on parenting, self-esteem, etc. (a trainer giving a lesson with a flip chart, or role play with one other person, mostly indoors).

I have a Canon XH-A1, which has left and right XLR inputs. It has phantom power if I need it.

Please make suggestions. I’ve looked at Audio Technica AT803, ATPro70, ECM 44B. It’s hard to tell what’s good.

Thanks,

Participant

You won’t find a good wireless lav for $150.

Just go to B&H and look what’s in your price range. The spec to look for is the Signal-to-Noise Ratio. 64dB is good. 74dB is very good. 84dB is outstanding.

I use the Sony ECM-44B. It’s not $150; it actually seems to have gone up in price on B&H. I think it’s worth the extra $$ though.

Participant

If you’re willing to take somewhat of a risk, you shouldtryeBay. As Rob said, small lapel microphones are not cheap mics. If you want a good lav micthat is new, you should consider raising your budget.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=lav+mic&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Inactive

Cool. Two great tips. Thanks! I hadn’t searched on Ebay under lav. Signal to Noise…Good to know!

Inactive

I actually boughta lavalier micoff of Ebay and paid far less than $150 and have been very satisfied with it. I remember just searching under camcorder mic. I have used it on several shoots and it has worked like a charm everytime.

However, on the flipside, I took a chance on a wireless lavalier unit on Ebay and that was just horrible. So much noise that I could not use it. But on wireless, it is more difficult to cut any corners without having a HUGE impact on quality.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap