A Fresh Start in HD Need Opinion on components

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Greetings,

Awesome site!I am about to upgrade my entire setup to HD and after many hours of research, most here,I have come up with my three main components and would like opinions before I pull the trigger. This is just a hobby but I am willing to invest 2500.00-3000.00. I am currently using a 3-chip panasonic prosumer MiniDV Camera and an older Hi-8 to capture footage. I import and edit using pinnacle studio 8 with firewire from both cameras in mpeg2. My PC is pretty old but was a nice machine in it’s day. Vaio 2.4ghzpentium 4 running XP SP3.I will probably try and turn this unit into an HTPC so any knowledge on that would be awesome too!

Ok now for the new stuff I think I want

PC:

Dell Studio XPS 9000? 1699.00

Intel Core i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz – 4 DIMMs

500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW

nVidia GeForce GTS 240 1024MB

Soundblaster Titanium

Camera: Canon HV 40 HD MiniDV?????????? 699.00

Software: Pinnacle Studio 14 ( I am used to using pinnacle) 100.00

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Participant

Looks like a great setup – FYI, I was reading last week how the I7-860 is faster than the 920.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266392-28-tomshardware

Inactive

thanks man. After a few days I am reconsidering the dell selection. I am thinking about trying to buy a base core I7 machine and adding the components myself becsue I need multiple monitor outputs preferably at least three or 4 with at least one vgi the rest hdmi and or dvi. any suggestions on where to look about how to build it would be great!

Inactive

Get at last 2 hard drives. One for OS and Programs (including Studio) and 2cd fast drive for video files. a 7200 rpm drive should work fine, some people insist on the velocorapter drives – expensive and not much storage. I would get at least i TB for video. You can get a smaller 120 or 160GB 7200rpm drive for the OS for around $50 and it would be plenty. can I ask – what do you need 4 monitors for? In an editing machine? 2 would be more than fine, and you could always add a further 3rd monitor later if you still felt the need. Stay with the 920 CPU. the chipset (intel x58)allows for 24GB ram on motherboards that support it. that will be a huge help and benefit in an editing machine. Also machines bought from Dell or HP or whatever are full of junk bloatware, you’ll never get rid of it all. do yourself a favor and build your own, or get a bare-bones kit. NewEgg is a great site to buy computer parts to build your own.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Hand-held Stabilizers Buyer's Guide

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap