a DV related question

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

My DV recording coming out directlyfrom my comcorder to my TV is perfect. When I import it via fire wire into Media Studio Pro 8 editing software I use the AVI project template DV 16:9 ( NTSC 29.97fps, Audio 48kHz). After I am done with my editing I save the file as Mpeg. Well when I burn a dvd and wiew it on my tv the quality is not as good as when I view it directly from my comcorder. ould anyone help me with this? Thank you.

Donna,

Yeah that’s pretty common. First up when viewing direct from camera to TV that’s an ‘uncompressed’ signal meaning ‘you see what is there’. The better your TV, the better your video looks. Once you go to MPEG-2 for DVD you’ve gone from an uncompressed video to compressed. That meaning in order to fit your video onto a 4.7GB DVD, your NLE software had to discard some of the information contained in the original video.

So in order to make the final output look ‘better’ on DVD, you’ll have to raise your compression levels before you render out to MPEG-2. Now, by raising the compression level you’ll be adding back in more video info. Depending on the final length of the video adding back in more info may drastically increase the size of the video file and it may not fit on your DVD. Check with your software manual and look up outputting to MPEG-2 and there should be information on how to raise or lower your compression levels.

Participant

Just to add onto what Composite has said, there SHOULD be options to export your MPEG-2 file with an average and max bit rate. For the best quality without making DVD players angry, export with:

average bitrate: 6.8Mbps

max bitrate: 8.0Mbps

With those settings, you can get about an hour and 15 minutes onto a single layer DVD. But as Composite stated, what you’re viewing off tape will not look as good as DVD.

Rob,

Wow! You did that without adding the ‘turkey baster!’ I’m so proud… (sniffle.)

Participant

still confused…lol

Rob,

See post where Grinner asks you ‘How to cook a Turkey….’

OK, Mr. Porter, you’re beginning to act like a turkey πŸ˜‰

Sorry, when I saw how short and sweet his description was ‘Grinner’s’ gag immediately came to mind. I really was proud of him.

Participant

always glad to help. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap