A Barrier to ‘Easy 3D’

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

?A handful of us in this most far-flung of the one-time British Colonies have been toying with the notion of putting two camcorders on a common-mount to create experimental 3D. Unfortunately, one disincentive to doing this simply, is the fact that almost every consumer/pro-sumer camcorder these days insists on putting the controls either under the familiar ‘flap’ on the left-hand side, or has them incorporated into the touch-screen. That makes it almost impossible to design a cradle which will accommodate two camcorders side-by-side, as the controls on the right-hand machine will be rendered semi-accessible at best with the standard 65mm inter-ocular separation.?Has anyone worked out a way to overcome this problem? Two of us have machine-shop facilities available to us.?

?Secondly, the software to correctly register Stereo 3D images is available in ‘Magix Movie-Edit Pro 17’, with a US price-tag of $99.

?Just incidentally, there is a wealth of 3D expertise available right here in my home city of Dunedin, New Zealand. Some years ago the Natural History Unit of TVNZ was snapped up by ‘Fox’ and the purchasers found that there was such a wealth of Tv expertise in the organisation, that it was never relocated. Otago University pitched-in with a graduate-level Science Communication course in Natural History Film-making. Just thought that might explain an apparent anomaly to some, overseas.

Ian Smith

Dunedin. New Zealand.

?

?

Participant

Have you thought to invert thr “right eye” camera and flip the video in post? This would put those controls to the ouside of your rig on both sidesfor easy acess though the “right eye” locations would be upside down.

Participant

3d video is easier with simpler cameras…..

try flip hd (or similar) cameras… no focus or alignment issues….

also the ir remotes will work if you are using identical cameras…

I desoldered the ir led off an older Sony remote and soldered in a 16 inch wire jumper beteeen the led and remote so I could mount the led infront of the camcorders ir port and use the remote at angles it wouldn’t normally work from, like behind… sort of a makeshift lanc controller…

Participant

There are some digital 3D cameras/camcorders already out there (Aiptek i2, Fujifilm W3, Viewsonic 3DV5, JVC GS-TD1) the quality and price varies greatly on these as does the stereo base. The Aiptek or Viewsonic would be good starter cams and can be purchased for about $140 (US). If you want a DIY rig then use a stereo camera bar (try ebay I got one for $20) and a couple of pocket cams (Flip or similar). I believe the record controls on the pocket cams are located on the back so you shouldn’t have any problem with starting & stopping. You can sync the footage in Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus HD, it also has tools for correcting alignment.

Participant

Hey,

I also have Magix Movie Editor HD 17 Pro. But I cannot create a RealD disc (dvd/bluray playable on 3DTV and 3Dplayer). I can only create anaglyph red/blu and side-by-side dvd’s that 3Dplayers do not recognize. So there has to be some what to tag the disc or movie with RealD.

Does anyone know how to do that with Movie Editor 17pro? Or do I have to buy Roxio Creator 2011 pro?

rey_ve@yahoo.com

Also, some camcorders can be used with the viewfinder closed (set up the settings and close it, then mount the other one next to it, possibly?) Also, is it true the software costs $99? Last time I checked for a plug-in for Premiere Pro it was thousands–so I stopped looking.

I looked up the Magix3D softare. Yep, $99. Geez. Combine that with a 3d Go Pro camera and you’re set up. Might not be the highest end stuff, but talk about a cheap entry level.

Ian,

Here’s an article with some dudes on the pro and hobbyist ends who’ve worked out ways to get their 3D Anaglyphs done without a lot of hassle. They also have videos up on Vimeo to let you see how they do their thing.

http://www.videomaker.com/article/15071/

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap