720p30 vs. 720p60

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

WHat are the advantages/disadvantages of each format? If 720p60 has twice the frame rape of 720p30, why would anyone shoot with the latter?

Participant

i personally feel 720p60 looks “too good.” You don’t see much (if any) motion blur. I would only use 720p60 to shoot slow-mo.

Also, 720p60 will take up more hard drive space.

“I personally feel 720p60 looks “too good.”

Kinda reminds me of the old ‘film vs video’ argument. I think 720 @ 60p looks awesome. However few NLE’s will give you a full 60p framerate on your timeline. 30p is the standard. Rob is right on both accounts of it’s great for footage intended for slow-motion sequences and it does take up more space in the hard drive. 720 @ 30p looks pretty good too as it has a ‘smooth’ look to it as well and looks great on the web and dvd.

Which one to use? Depends on what look you’re trying to get. 60p gives a much more ‘television look’ without the funky interlacing (too bad they don’t seem to be interested in creating 1080 @ 60p!) 30p is just 6 frames faster than 24p so it has a ‘filmic’ look though if you know what to look for, you can spot the diff right off. Also, it depends on what the client wants. More often than not, your client (unless they are knowledgeable of framerates) will barely be able to tell the difference if at all.

Current ‘wisdom’ is; 60p for sports and slo-mo footage, 30p for everything else, 24p for ‘cinema’ style. Choose your flavor.

Inactive

Rob and Composite… Great posts answering the question in simple terms.

The issue with 1080p and 1080i for broadcast television appears to be the bandwidth needed for the progressive scanning.

“The issue with 1080p and 1080i for broadcast television appears to be the bandwidth needed for the progressive scanning.”

EL,

There’s that and there’s infrastructure already in place to handle Interlaced Video.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap