720p video on a movie screen

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Can 720p video be played on a movie screen? If filmed digitally can itg be placed on film stock?

Yeah to both questions. The film “28 Days Later” was shot on an XL1 with a 35mm Lens adapter, transferred to 35mm film and shown in theaters. It was the shot fired across the bow during the early days of the digital revolution. That was PAL Standard def (16×9 720×576). It wasn’t high on detail but it worked for what the movie was about.

So HD Standard def (16×9 1280×720) will look a lot better blown up to screen size than 576i. However, as you go up in resolution the better your images will hold up on the big screen.

Participant

Thanks for your answer. I hope you don’t mind me asking one more question, I use the 24fps feature of my Canon camcorder, this is supose to better for cinema quality than the standard 60i, how true is this?

“I use the 24fps feature of my Canon camcorder, this is suposed to better for cinema quality than the standard 60i….”

Define ‘better’. 24p is more conducive for theatrical video to film transfer. Just remember to get good slow-motion, you’ll need to shoot in 48fps. The ‘better’ comes down to the difference in Progressive scan vs Interlaced video. 24p is a progressive scan and not only matches up well with film because of the framerate, it’s also due to there only being one frame of video at a time. With interlaced video there are actually two frames per single frame of video. The difference is the two frames are sliced up into rows or fields (one upper and one lower.) The two fields are offset from each other and are ‘interlaced’ between one another to make one frame. You can see the results when you watch interlaced video on a computer screen or progressive scan TV as jagged lines from sudden movement in the image.

It’s much less complicated to transfer video from progressive scan to film than interlaced video. However, interlaced video handles movement with better resolution. So 60i is much sharper than 24p hence the ‘realistic look’ of interlaced video.

So in answer to your question, 24p is better suited to film transfer.

Participant

What I meant by better is will transfer to the larger projection. I am sorry I was not quite so clear, but you understood my question, so thanks for your answer.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2021

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap