720p HD on non-HD dvd player

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve read that if HD shoot is rendered in 720p and burned to a normal DVD, the HD quality will be there on a normal DVD player, and that the only downfall is that you get about 15 minutes. Can anyone provide the technical side of this and/or feesability? I don’t mind burning several DVDs if I can get the quality I’m after.

-Dana

Inactive

It is possible to put even 1080i content onto a standard "red" DVD using the standard "red" burner in a PC. However, it must be played back on a HD-DVD or BLU-RAY player, not a standard DVD player. You get about 23 minutes on single layer, double that on Dual Layer. Picture quality, if smartrendered, is just like it came direct from camera.

Participant

Yes you can burn hi-def 1080i/720p video onto regular dual-layer (DVD-9) discs and they will play perfectly in your HD-DVD player. Each disc can hold up to 36 minutes of 1080i hi-def video.

There is an article on how to do this here –
      http://www.weddingvideodoneright.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100

Participant

As others have noted you can store high-definition video as data files on a DVD, but that won’t play in standard DVD video players. This is because DVDs can hold any kind of information but standard DVD players only recognize SD video content in a particular format, not HD.

You can currently distribute HD video on data DVDs for playback on computers, the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, Divx-HD video players and maybe a few other options. The amount of video which fits on a disc will depend on how you encode it and what type of disc you use.

Participant

dnathan Wrote:

I’ve read that if HD shoot is rendered in 720p and burned to a normal DVD, the HD quality will be there on a normal DVD player, and that the only downfall is that you get about 15 minutes. Can anyone provide the technical side of this and/or feesability? I don’t mind burning several DVDs if I can get the quality I’m after.

Only if the player specifically supports HD formats like WMV-HD or Divx-HD. In theory, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats can also be supported using traditional DVD transport, but I don’t think this will ever be implemented by anyone. Manufacturers of players have to pay royalty fees for every device sold, so creating a sub-$200 player that uses standard DVD transport but is able to play disks with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray data layout is not commercially sensible. There won’t be any significant number of DVDs with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray data layout anyway.

So again, your best bet is playing WMV-HD or Divx-HD files off a regular data DVD. Look for players that explicitly support this format and bitrate. There are few of these available, search at divx.com.

Standard DVD players (and I mean, as standard as they come) will NOT play HD files.

compusolver Wrote:

Even if you could somehow put the "quality" onto the DVD, you couldn’t get it into your TV/monitor because there are no connections that would carry the proper signals except those made for hi-def, which naturally don’t connect to standard DVD players.

There are a lot of sub-$100 players that have HDMI output or hi-def component output.

Michael, Canon Elura User Pages

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap