60p/60i dilemma

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am editing a wedding that was shot with two cameras: Panasonic hmc150
      and a Canon consumer grade. Camera A footage was shot in 60p and camera
      B was shot in 60i. Does anyone have any suggestions on the workflow in Final Cut Pro
      7? I have done some research but would like as many suggestions as
      possible. The final output will be to DVD and some highlights from the
      wedding will be posted on line to vimeo. Thanks in advance and happy
      editing.

Participant

Can you just run the project in 60i, edit the two cams simultaneously, and save the whole thing in 60i? (60p WILL downconvert)

Participant

Why didn’t you just pick a frame rate to work with BEFORE you started shooting? Ya know, like professionals do…

If you want to avoid having to render while you edit, covert your 60p to 60i using Compressor. Make sure the frame size of all your footage is consistent as well.

Sometimes, Rob, even we professionals, as perfect as we like to perceive ourselves, don’t do it right, get it right and even occasionally make a mistake or misjudgment .. those of us who aren’t inhuman, that is.

Participant

I agree, Earl. Sometimes we don’t do it right, and maybe I shouldn’t be so rude, but this mistake happens way too much. The fact is, it’s a basic issue. It’s no more complex than remembering to take off the lens cap. Ya pick a format and you stick to it.

Too often are people grabbing any old camera and recording 720p60 DVCPro HD, then they get their buddy to shoot and he records 1080i60 XDCam, then they get another buddy to shoot 24p H.264 with a DSLR, then they get their nephew to record DV, then right before they walk out the door, they pick up a PAL camera. This isn’t a mistake, it’s plain carelessness. The good ol’ “hey, I’ll fix it in post” attitude.

I hear you, and there is a prevalence of “laziness” in the video world that often is tolerated beyond reality. So I totally know where you’re coming from and the frustration you feel when that persistence shows up on forum posts. However, it behooves us as professionals with common sense, knowledge and expertise, and professional maturity, to try and admonish without beating somebody up.

Your posts often come across a bit “rude” and blunt, and that’s your style, but it just seems would be simpler to state the obvious in a more forgiving manner at times rather than alienate people coming into video by leaving the impression those of us who have run the gauntlet carry an attitude of superiority over “ignorant newbies” when we started somewhere at the bottom ourselves.

I’ve learned much from your factual input, however, and would prefer to hear what you have to say regardless of how sweet you sound πŸ˜‰

Participant

While I’m sure Rob needs no defence, I actually appreciate his “Blunt” delivery of information. I’ve always worked in science related fields and its thenormbut it has to come with a certian degree of accuracy. Otherwise it would actually be”Rude”,which I don’t take Rob’s posts for. Its an attitude opposite ofpacifying everything and accepting mediocrity as a standard. I can appreciate someone willing to draw a line in the sand, especially when they have the knowledge and experience to do so.

I only say this because I do see how a new guy/gal can take it as abrasive but that level of directness does have its merits and we do benefit from it as a group. Hopefully they can see that and we can all meet in the middle over it.

With all that said, I have to also agree with his response to the original post…convert the 60p.

Participant

Yea, I agree that my frustration gets the better of me sometimes, but I think that’s more rare than you may realize. I think you and I just tend to butt heads because we’re reading posts on a forum rather than talking to face to face, and it’s easy to misinterpret one’s tone. I’m rarely angry or annoyed, and I’m sure you’re the same…

I’m certainly guilty of bluntness, though. But hey, who has time to beat around the bush? Obviously no one has time to read manuals, otherwise they wouldn’t be here askin’ questions. Do people even know what manuals are anymore? They’ve probably all be recalled for E. Coli or something, ya know, with everyone using them as toilet paper.

Whatever the deal is, let’s just all remember to pick a format

Participant

I saw on Fox News this morning an item about the “worlds worst wedding video”. It showed the feet of the participants and everything you don’t want in a video. I think what actually happened is that the videographer thought the camera was off and it was on. So, when he pressed the button to turn it on, he actually turned it off. The result was no good shots and only shots of the floor etc.

Sounds stupid, but I can tell you it is an easy mistake to make – from personal experience! So, I can understand how getting the frame settings wrong could happen (done that too!).

For me, the real fix has been to be extremely methodical: check every piece of gear before going on assignment. Be sure all batteries are charged and you have at least 50% extra battery power. Pre label your blank tapes/chips and have at least 50% more than you think will be needed.

The sobering thought on the Fox story is that the videographer charged $500 for the shoot but was being sued for $1000.

Jim

Essentially, XTR addressed the original question/need as posted by Rick, and the second paragraph of Rob’s innitial response did also. Rick, did that information help you with your dilemma?

Participant

Please pardon my ignorance – I don’t use Final Cut (heck, I’ve only used a Mac a couple of times at all).

I edit with Sony Vegas, which allows me to mix any and all sorts of stuff (1080i, 720p, DV, photos of all sizes, whatever) on the timeline (either direct or through the trimmer) and it handles the conversions as necessary to whatever I have defined the project specs to be on render – Is this not the case with other NLE’s?

Participant

You can drop whatever you want in an FCP timeline, but to get the best results you want consistent media.

If you have 720p and 1080i footage and your timeline is set up for 720p, FCP won’t convert the 1080i footage to 720p as well as Compressor. So you convert the 1080i footage to 720p before you bring it into FCP.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap