5.1 Channel Codec

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

I have recently been experimenting with 5.1 channel surround sound and found 1 problem.

When i render my project in 5.1, it says that i do not have a 5.1 channel codec installed.

It sounds like something i need to install. Any help or links would be wounderful.

I have sony vegas 9 platinum pro pack

thanks

Participant

Most likely, this is a problem having to do with MPEG-2’s sound codec – AC3. This is the first (if not only option without searching the ends of the earth) result I came up with during a google search of the 5.1 Surround Sound codec. From my interpretation, it seems to be aimed at the use of 5.1 playback on your computer rather than an encoding method to be used with another application. I haven’t had any problems using Sony Vegas Pro in playing back sound through my 5.1 system.

Surround Sound codec download – http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Aud-X_surround_codec.htm

AC3 codec download – http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ac3_filter.htm

FilmS,

I took a look at the Platinum Pro Pack features on the Sony site and it looks like it only supports importing the source files and downmixing them into Stereo Channels. Before Vegas went Pro, you used to have to buy the Main Concepts AC3 encoder separately with ACID and Vegas. Now it comes as a part of both programs since they both utilize 5.1 workflows. You could buy the MC encoder separately or pick up one of the one’s XTR mentioned, but before doing that contact Sony Support and find out if Platinum will even support exporting AC3 audio to 5.1 and not just stereo. Because Platinum is a step down from Vegas Pro, I doubt that it will. You won’t know for sure until you ask.

Participant

Composite1,

No I dont think thats quite right, when you open the project it asks you if you want to edit in stereo and 5.1. I actually edited my project in 5.1, it has a track for each channel, as well as a couple specialty tracks for sound effects ect. So i am for sure that that is possible

XTR-91,

ThankYou so much for thelink, i should have thoughtof that, i did the same thing when i didnt have the MPEG-1Codec; Alls i did wasdownloas quicktime and i was good to go, i will try those and let you how they go.

Thanks for the helpyou guys

FILMS inc

Films,

Fair enough. My next question is: When you go to export your timeline as MPEG-2, does Platinum ask you whether you want to export your audio as an AC3 file or Wav?

Participant

Oh, It just has a drop down menu and it has a lot of different “combinations” There are only a couple that have 5.1. So i just select that.

I dont know if thats quite clear, feel free to ask again if you have any extra questions

Films,

I still say before you get any other codec’s, contact sony support and see if they can shed some light on this. It may just be a case of ‘Operator Error’. If not, they’ll have a better handle on what your software is capable of.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap