5 hours of editing – any tips?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Ok guys, here is the deal.

I have 5 hours of raw AVCHD footage to edit in my Sony Vegas Pro 8. I use a HP Media Center PC, with a 2.6 GHz processor (dual core), 2 GB of ram and 500 GB Hard Drive. I wont be doing any complex editing. I will just put all the vids in the timeline, put some titles, make some (rough) cuts and that is it. But i was wondering if you guys have any tips for either myseilf or my computer. Anything that would make the editing less painful would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Caio P.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

5 hours of raw video is…well a lot of video footage (a lot) I suggest that first you need to organize your videos in folders. Watch all the videos and look for the preliminary footage you want and discard what you dont need. Put all the preliminary fottage in a folder on my documents or in the desktop so its easier to open in the future. Do not mix the preliminary videos with unusable video (then you wont find anything) If you use music, pictures, etc, put them all in different folders with a folder name such as “Pictures”, “Music”, etc. Now that you have all your video footage organized look again at your preliminary videos and select the segments you want from each one (use Vegas Trim feature, use the markers and regions and create the subclips you like). If you know how to use Vegas Media Manager feel free to use it too.

Now that you have what you need make a three column table with the following: on the left column put VIDEO, next to the video column put AUDIO and on the last column put TIME (this one is optional, you use it if you really need to) In the VIDEO column put the names of the videos you will use, where they are in your computer (optional, but use it if you like, just in case) and what you want to do with them (you can also put transitions in here). In the AUDIO column put what music you like and if you are planing on recording audio for a Voice Over, put the narration in this area. In the third column put how much time your video segment will last. Every time you use a new video put it in another column and enumerate everything. In the end you will have your technical/editing script and all you need to do is take your script, sit in front of your computer for several hours and follow the order of the script.

Inactive

Thanks SargeHero!

It was only now that i noticed the quantity of files that i will actually use! There are more than 100 videos, 20 songs and 150 Photos! (I didn’t know that i was actually going to use photos until a few hours ago…) well, i guess i will stay awake until morning… i will turn into a bat today, i will sleep during day and be awake during night.. =D

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap