48k to 32k

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

When I reuse my mini dv tapes they sometimes change audio speed from 48k to 32k . When shooting i don’t notice the audio change. It is when I’ve downloaded to premiere pro and I may have used 3 tapes on the project and 1 of the tapes will be wrong audio speed. Anyone familiar with this. Can i correct this speed with my premiere pro

Inactive

There are a variety of ways to alter the sample rate (what you call speed) of an audio file. There just isn’t any reason to do it. Calling the sample rate of a file “speed” will lead you to erroneous notions. The sample rate determines the quality of the audio file during recording. Once it is recorded, that is what you’ve got. When you select your video project settings in Premiere Pro, you can choose the 48K rate and when you render the project, then the audio rate will be what you set it for. But that doesn’t change the audio quality. You got what you got. Just like altering SD video to fit into an HD project. The SD video can’t turn into HD quality, but you can still use it.

Your only solution to the changing sample rate problem is to not record at different sampling rates. When you reach the point of editing your video, it’s too late to improve audio quality with a higher sampling rate. All the sampling has been done. But in the final product, the audio “speed” will be set according to your project settings, so then your 32K audio will appear to be 48K audio. But the fact is that the audio you playback will be the same quality as you originally recorded.

Hope you have a better understanding of sample rates and why they are not “speeds” of the audio. The sample rate determines how many steps of digital audio are recorded per second. Just like when you shoot a digital snapshot (unlike what TV shows us) if you enlarge (or “zoom in”) the image cannot show data it didn’t record. You can’t read a license plate when the image is blown up, you just get a larger blur. High end digital analysis of images can interpolate what could be between two pixels in order to “sharpen” the image. But you can’t insert 20 pixels between two of the photos pixels and see what the camera couldn’t. And adding audio points between existing sample points will not give you better audio, it just makes the file bigger.

Good luck in solving the problem you are having during your shoots. Or get used to 32K audio.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap