48 Hour Film Project

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Has anyone here ever participated in one of these? If so I would love to see examples of the films you guys produced. Or just here about your experience in general. For those of you unfamiliar with the project, basically at 7:00 on Friday you are given a genre, character, prop, and line of dialogue and then you and your team have 48 hours to write, shoot, and edit a 4-7 minute movie. I will be heading up a team in Greensboro, NC July 21st and just wanted some feedback from others who may have participated. Thanks. http://48hourfilm.com/

Participant

Hi,
      Reporting from DC. I have been to screenings of the top 12 or so results for past two years and have been blown away by the great quality of MOST of the films. (One of these days I will actually participate. With my travel schedule, probably in Paris — France, not Texas.) The quality of entertainment/humor/zanyness is such that I want to take these films home on a DVD and send them to all my friends and relatives.
      This project originated in DC, so we are now up to 100 teams or some ridculous number. There are a lot of filmmakers, theater companies, film students, and media types in DC that jump into this with an enthusiam I do not see outside of the collegiate/pro football season when everyone is going looney over their team.
      Not every film is worthy of a big screen premier, but they get it anyway, and there is tremendous warmth/support for the all high school and all nursing home 48 hour film crews that are pushing their envelope for the first time.
      The cams used are those discussed on these forums: GL2, XL2, Sony VX 2000, PD 150, etc. A number of teams have issues with audio, either the original audio is so-so or there are mishaps in the editing. Good teams have someone who knows what they are doing with audio. Last year, one director reported that they could not find the tripod plate, so the whole shoot was handheld!
      Stay cool, bring a sense of humor, enjoy your coffee and pizza.
      See your name in lights…
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Inactive

I almost signed up when they came to Minneapolis this year, but I decided not to. Turns out it was a good idea, because someone wound up scheduling a wedding with me that weekend. I wanted to sign up for the one in Aberdeen this weekend, but I’m shooting a wedding this weekend too (outdoor wedding, and the temp is supposed to pass 100! What fun!) so it looks like I’m once again out of luck.

Maybe next year…

Inactive

😯 100 degrees!!! Holy cow!

Jim,

This would be a good time to have your hired help run the show. Then you could sit in the car with the air conditioner on and supervise! X-D

The good thing is that you aren’t the one wearing the tux! πŸ˜›

RAM

Participant

I did the 24 hour race in dallas texas and have to say that it was cool. You should do it if you get the chance to it is very fun and a great experience.

Participant

I just wanted to follow up on the 48 Hour Film Project now that its over. Anyone who wants to better themselves at video production I cannot recommend this experience enough. It was a great exercise both creatively and technically. Given such a short amount of time you must come up with quick solutions you might not otherwise employ to overcome problems in story, lighting, sound, set, etc. In addition for every mistake I made while shooting (and there were a lot) I had to come up with a solution while editing. I am fairly new to video production (I make short films and shoot weddings and other events to pay for my equipment) so this project allowed me to learn a lot in short amount of time.

I just wanted to add one more observation. I have noticed on this board that everyone just entering the field looks for the best camera they can buy, always trying to achieve that film look. There were 38 teams that entered the competition, some shooting in HD, others 24p, others 1 chip cameras. The problem with the majority of the films was the SOUND not the look. Even experienced filmmakers had problems with sound. I cant emphasize enough that no matter how good the picture looked the audience did not care as long as the sound had problems. It is my humble opinion that those who want to spend thousands of dollars on a camera, take a step back and buy a sufficient camera and compliment it with decent audio equipment. I know this had been said before on this board but, I just wanted to echo it as I just viewed numerous films by amateurs and professionals and sound was always the problem not the look.

If anyone wants to see a detailed account of my weekend you can check out my blog
      http://fitzufilms.blogspot.com/

Participant

Congratulations, and five minutes to spare! You DID it you DID it you DID it!

Oh yeah; that audio thing…

Absolutely, a good sound track (music), can transmit an emotional illusion that the visuals/editing are stronger than they really are. Definitely a plus to have musician friends. I attended/shot a wedding reception in San Diego two w/e’s ago where a highlight was a live/still montage of the last six years of the bride and groom making up their minds. About 50% of visuals were really repetitive or otherwise not that exciting, but the S/T was terrific and everyone loved the couple so the guests cheered nonstop like they were at the American Idol finals.

Continuted success!

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap