3ccd question and where cams are going…HD vs NON HD

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion 3ccd question and where cams are going…HD vs NON HD

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      pugdogproductions
      Participant

Hey!

I am new to all this lingo, PLEASE help me. I have a 3ccd vid cam and was told this is good to have. WHY? What are the cs?
      If I get a newer cam should I still have the c’s?
      Also HD vs NON HD, what’s your take? Will is all become HD and I should just get a HD cam anyway?

THANKS!

Ellen

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ellen,
      Brushing off the cobwebs on my memory of electronics, I think CCD stands for Charge-Coupled Device. OK, that really doesn’t explain anything, but this is a device which can convert light into an electrical signal, which your camcorder can record. The larger the CCD, the more accurate the signal it can provide. There are different factors that can contribure to accuracy: Fine detail (the more pixels in the CCD, the more detail), better low light sensitivity, and reproducing the exact colors that were in the scene. Camcorder manufacturers found that they could further improve color accuracy by using 3 CCDs, one for each primary color. Less expensive camcorders with a single CCD tend to have less vibrant colors (although some single-CCD camcorders manage to do a pretty good job with color).

These days, some camcorders are available with CMOS devices instead of CCDs. CMOS doesn’t need as much power as CCDs do, and can produce beautiful images if there is enough light. But CCDs seem to be better in low-light conditions.

For professional applications, HD is the way to go (unless you’re making videos for customers who don’t have HD). But standard definition can look quite good, if your camcorder has a quality lens, and you take the time to get a good focus and exposure. I recently entered a video festival. My movie was shot with a semi-professional standard-def camcorder. When I went to the festival screening last weekend, I saw these movies projected on the theater screen, and assumed they were all high-def. I was afraid that my movie would look horrible compared to the HD movies. SUPRISE….. my movie looked as good as most of the other movies. (OK, there were a couple movies that did look noticably more detailed. Those must have been shot in HD.)

For now, if you’re shooting home movies or amateur movies, it’s easier to stick with standard definition. But in a year or 2, most computers, software, and disc-recording units should be able to handle HD without problem. And, hopefuly, the BluRay vs. HD-DVD battle will be resolved.

Good luck! πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ellen,
      I notice your "handle" is Pug Dog Productions. Just wondering if you have any connection with the producers of the "Wonder Pugs" movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsKuaR1D1GY
      Very entertaining video! πŸ˜€
      Ken Hull

brandon0409
      Participant

In answer to your question.

The more CCD’s the better. And the Bigger the better.
      The camera I have, the 3 CCD’s are 1/3 inch. I have seen advertised in some high end expenive cams 1/2 inch and bigger.

Each of these chips processes a color. Red, Green Blue. Hence RGB.

If there was only one chip, it would have to do three times the work and not do as well.
      Each of the CCD’s is speciallized for the specific color.

pugdogproductions
      Participant

Thanks for all the advice/ help!

To Ken: That was a funny movie!
      No my handle is:
      myspace.com/pugdogfilm

or pugdogproductions.com

Thanks!

Ellen

kyles
      Participant

like some of the other posts, 1/3 inch ccd’s are a great chip. Now it deppends what cam you have.
      It is a huge upgrade from Hi8.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to choose the right computer for video editing: 4 key specs to check

Buying the best workstation for your needs means understanding how the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage options work together to enhance overall performance.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.