3CCD or CMOS

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am considering a new HDV for event recordings (weddings, parties etc….), and am trying to determine if there is a big difference between a 3CCD camera and a CMOS camera. I’m not a pro, but might go that way long term, and am just wondering if there is an advantage of one to another.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chaz

Participant

I think everyone has their opinion. From what I have read, the consensus seems to be that CMOS cameras will have jaggies when shooting something that is diagonal on screen. I have a CMOS Sony and have not experienced this myself (although my camera is at the upper end of the prosumer type cams at $5,000+). Before this current HD CMOS cam I have now, I had a 3CCD Sony SD camera and I have been very pleased with the image quality from both.

Participant

CCDs consume more energy than CMOS sensors.

CCDs record a “smear” of light when pointed at a bright source…like a light bulb. CMOS sensors do not do this.

CMOS sensors suffer from the Jello effect, an ugly wobbling of the image that is harder to digest than camera shake from a CCD. At this point, I dont think there is a post production solution to the Jello effect, but some software can fix or smooth out camera shake from CCDs.The only way to combat the Jello effect is to record at a faster frame rate, which many people don’t want to do because everyone is gung-ho about 24p.

In environments with flash photography, images recorded with a CMOS camera will have a horizontal band of over exposure, which is from the flash. This doesn’t happen with a CCD. Instead the whole image is over exposed for a frame or 2, which looks more natural.

CMOS sensors also record slanted vertical lines when the camera pans quickly or something passes in front of the camera quickly. Again, no post production solution. All you can do to combat this is record as a faster frame rate.

CMOS sensors seem to capable of recording a higher native resolution. There are CMOS cameras that record a native 1080p24, while cameras with CCDs incorporate some kind of pixel shifting to achieve 1080p24.

CMOS sensors seem to work better in low light.

As for “jaggies when shooting diagonal lines,” I’ve only heard of that with the DSLR cameras, and I’ve actually never even seen it myself. Luckily though, you’re not looking into a DSLR camera…

In MY opinion, I’d go with a CCD camera any day. We have the Sony EX1 and EX3 at my work. They record a REALLY nice image, but my bosses record 24p. So I always notice the Jello effect, and it just looks like garbage to me. I can’t stand it.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap