3251 Manfrotto

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

I saw where this was highly recommended and thought I would go ahead and invest in a good tripod. What necessary accessories do you guys recommend that I need at my early stage in the game?

Here’s the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=191746&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Gracias,

Beth

PS — Money is becoming increasingly an issue so, if I can wait a few months on something, all the better.

Participant

Yes, go with the 503 head. I use the 3251 legs, but they are very heavy. You should look at some lighter ones if you’re going to need to move around at all. I’m 6’1" and 190 pounds and I get tired moving this tripod around!

The subject of the first post is 3251 Manfrotto. B&H site is down, so i’m not sure what Jim is talking about becaus the 3251 is anything but flimsy! With their quick-release thumb lever action, you can drop down or fold up all three legs with just one quick action. It should be used with a ball leveler which will only add to its nearly unbearable weight.

Inactive

Eh, it’s not that great of a deal, to be perfectly honest.

The Bogen/Manfrotto 501 head is not a true full fluid head, and it will give you a bit of jerkiness in movement. For a super duper smooth move, go with the 503 head.

Also, those legs with the single shaft are great for photography, but they’re a bit flimsy for video, not very stable.

here’s a kit I purchased some time back. It’s only about $50 more than the kit you mentioned, it has the 503 head, and a sturdy set’o’legs to make it go well.

Keep in mind that if you’re going to be manning the tripod, it’s worth it to invest in a controller like this little gem to make yur life easier. This particular model let’s you control zoom, focus, has a built-in record button, and even a power button to put your camera to standby mode. From having worked behind broadcast equipment, I can tell you that these controllers make your life a lot easier.

If you can afford a second arm for your tripod head, I’d get it. Having a left and right arm for stability makes like much easier. Plus you’ll have a spare if something unexpected happens to your one arm. That being said, I don’t see that as a need, but as a want.

You’re on th right path, but unless you’r really that strapped for cash, the extra $50 to get the better tripod is worth it.

Participant

As, always, your advice is priceless (just like the Mastercard commerical!) Unfortunately, I’m getting page cannot be displayed instead of all your links. If you want to just give me the names I’ll look them up, that very cool trick of yours won’t work for some reason.

I’ll definitely get the controller and the second arm too. They shouldn’t too bad.

Thanks again!

Beth

Participant

I guess I could read thoroughly. B&H is down. So I doubt it’s the links at all. I look forward to seeing the suggestions.

Thank you,
      Beth

Participant

Excellent point. I suppose I’ll go to a local store and try out the controls and second arm and see how it works for me.

8)
      Beth

PS — Man, I wish B&H would come back up!!! How dare they X-D

Inactive

As far as the extra controls go, it’s really a matter of making my life easier from the tripod. I usually only have the right arm attached to the head (you’re very right, at a wedding, the left arm can get in the way sometimes, but sometimes it’s also useful). My zoom controls are on the right side of the camera, which means that if I want to do a gentle zoom while I’m panning, my left hand either has to zoom or pan. With the controller, I can zoom and pan all from one hand.

I think most of it is taste, and really, it comes down to how you were trained. When I first got into video, I started on big broadcast gear. I had the two armed tripod, zoom control on the right arm thumb toggle, focus control on the left arm thumb toggle. I got used to that setup, and I really liked the ease of it, so now that I have my own gear I want to emulate that setup as much as possible. Eventually I’ll probably buy a seperate focus controller for a left-arm setup, because really, it’s just insanely easy when you’ve got those extra controls.

Don’t get me wrong, I still believe wholeheartedly that a person should be able to master all the buttons on their camera "blind" before they start filming. Before and after the wedding we still have to run handheld, so you can’t just assume that the magic tripod controls will always be there for you. But the truth is that when I’m on the tripod, they make life so much easier.

By the way, I looked up the weight on those legs at another site, since B&H is down and out. You’re right, those legas are pretty heavy duty. I guess I looked at the picture without checking out the specs. Still, I’m not much into that particular style tripod. Again, it’s just a matter of preference. Just so long as the bogen 503 head is used, all will be well either way.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Stock media: How to find and use the best stock photos, videos, music and more

Acquiring stock media and editing it into your project is very often faster, cheaper and much more convenient than creating that media yourself.
homicide-bootstrap