3 CCD vs Cmos

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Pro’s and Cons?

Participant

That’s a good question.

Point 1: 1 CMOS makes for a smaller camera. 3 CCDs usually come in bigger cameras (though I have seen them in smaller ones, they usually have some problem).

Point 2: There’s great debate on whether CMOS or the 3 CCD combo gives better video quality. The die-hards go with 3 CCDs. (Oh, NO. Our world as we know it is coming to an end!)

Many reviews I’ve read say 1 CMOS is either as good or almost as good as 3 CCDs. Some say better.

Personally, at this point in my life/career, I’ll take a small, cheap camera with almost as good quality, than a huge, expensive camera. 1 CMOS is good enough for me.

Participant

There are many differences.

Some artifacting you get with CMOS is image wobble (which is horrible), and skewing. This is due to the “rolling shutter.” The remedy for these artifacts is a faster frame rate, not a fast shutter speed like you would think. So 24p will be more susceptible to the artifacting than 60p. I’ve heard that the higher end CMOS cameras, like the EX1 and EX3, don’t really suffer from these artifacts as horribly as cheaper CMOS cameras.

Some benefits of CMOS are that they consume less energy. They also don’t get the “smearing” effect that you get with CCD due to bright light.

CCD doesn’t have image wobble. Instead, it just looks like a shaky cameras, which we are all familiar with. A shaky camera is MUCH more tolerable than image wobble. And like I said, CCDs suffer from vertical smear. This is all because of the “global shutter.”

Benefits of CCD: No image wobble. Some artifacting can be reduced by boosting the shutter speed. This matters if you are trying to get that “film-look.” If you use a CMOS camera, the artifacting of CMOS is a dead give-away that you’re shooting with video and a faster frame rate to eliminate the artifacting is apparently a dead give-away too. Also, CCDs don’t suffer from skewing, which is good for shooting fast motion

CCD seems to be the better choice. Many of the larger professional cameras, with the acceptation of a few, use CCD. There are of course, time when you may want the benefits of CMOS.

Like I always say: It depends what you need and what you’re doing.

Participant

CMOS has been around for a long time (I had a MOS camera back in the mid 80’s – when all the others were tube based).

They are improving the technology all the time and going forward, I think you’ll be seeing more CMOS and fewer CCD options.

Inactive

I love my 3x CCD cam, and regret the cmos camera. IMHO if you have the $’s, go for the 3 ccd’s.

Participant

I have the Sony V1U Cmos cam and love it. Stunning images. There’s a documentary that ran on PBS called In The Valley of The Wolves. I believe it was shot with the V1U. Also, check out this site: http://www.truveo.com/tag/v1u Check out what this camera is capable of.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap