24P camera. Cheapest/best

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hopefully this is a simple question.

What is the best 24P prosumer camera on the market, and what is the cheapest?

If you are looking to do Indie movies on a budget in 24P, whats the best choice?

Inactive

Ooops, sorry. Forgot to post my price range.

Is there any 24P camera out there, that would make a good "film look" camera, for no more than $2500.

Inactive

Smaish,

You could buy a used DVX100A camcorder. These are really, really good cams, and feature an hour meter built in. Using this meter, you can gauge how much the cam has been used, though its not perfect. One tape ends up showing 2 or 3 hours generally.

Heck, I’m thinking of selling my own DVX for $2000 (with accessories). Lemme know.

-Andrew

Inactive

Ive looked into the DVX100A a lot and it looks awesome (by the way how much are you selling for??). I also saw a small tutorial video of the Canon GL2. It showed footage of Canon’s "Frame" shoothing mode that has a cinema look or film look.

How does Canon’s Frame mode work/look in comparison to the DVX’s 24p?

Inactive

Basically, the GL-2’s "film mode" is a 30P capture. It’s very similar to film, but the truth of the matter is that if you want true 24P, this won’t cut it for you.

Personally, I like it for slo-mo stuff, and if I’m being mildly artistic. I have a dream of one day having enough free time to put together a documentary, and for experimentation on that vein I often use the 30P mode. It’s good, and probably good enough for what I do, but the hardcore artists out there won’t enjoy it, as it is a little bit choppy in comparison to true 24P.

Inactive

Thanks for replying. I am torn between the GL2, the DVX100A, and the VX2100. Basically the VX2100 is great in low light but the GL2 and DVX have film look features such as 30P and 24P. Seeing how much DVXs usually go for I think I might settle with the GL2. I am no pro (still in high school) but would like to buy a nice camera for documentaries and sporting videos. I have about 1500-2000 to spend and was looking for a used camera. The reason I was looking at the VX2100 was because I may be doing a good amount of my snowboarding filming at night.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap