2 channels of audio from camera to computer

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound 2 channels of audio from camera to computer

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

This is my first post here and am fairly new to video editing so please bear with me. I have just recorded an event with my Canon xh-a1 and used a wireless mic on one channel and a shotgun mic on the other. When I captured it with Pinnacle studio 10.7 I found that the channels where combined as one and after using there live chat I guess there is no way to capture them seperately. I could problably run an anolog in and edit using sound forge but I would really like to use NLE that would do this for me. Was thinking of upgrading software anyways, any sugestions? Thanks for any help!

Participant

I also have Pinnacle Studio 10.7 and I’m about to uninstall it once I get Adobe Premiere CS3. It really depends on what kind of computer/equipment you’re running, what kind of price range you’re in, and your personal preference. I recommend downloading some free trials and checking things out first hand before dropping a bunch of cash on a program. There are a bunch of links to trial downloads in the downloads section.

Participant

Also, Pinnacle has a 10.8 patch out now. I haven’t installed it yet because once you do you can’t work on any projects saved beforehand (according to the patch info). But I doubt this patch will fix your issue.

Participant

Thanks for the reply! I am hoping to stay under 1K for price, was just not sure if anyone new which software would capture seperate left and right audio channels.

Inactive

I’m actually surprised that there’s a program out there that doesn’t allow you to capture both separately. Both Vegas 6 and Premiere Pro 2 do this, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it everywhere. Now, most programs will record both channels onto one track, but the track itself should be stereo, and should have a left and right channel within the track that are separate and unique. If you don’t have that, look at your project settings, and check to see if there’s a stereo or mono option, and go with stereo.

Inside the program, there are several ways to isolate your individual channels. In Premiere pro, if I want a quick and dirty separation, I make two copies of my stereo track. On the first track, I grab the audio effects tool "fill left" and drag it in, thus filling both stereo channels with what’s on the left channel. I use the fill right option on the other track, and all of a sudden, I have two separate tracks, one for the left channel, and one for the right.

Sony Vegas is even easier than that, letting you select one channel of the track in a right click menu option. Same thing, duplicate the track, right click on one and select left channel, right channel the other and you’re golden.

You can also output the audio to a separate file, and use a program like the very free, very powerful Audacity, and divide your track into two like that. This is more work, but it can be a better end result, since it will literally be two separate files.

I have NO IDEA how your software works, but I’d almost bet dollars to donuts that it’s got to be preserving the stereo track, or there has to be an option to do so. It would be a pretty ueless program otherwise.

Participant

Thanks JIm! I will check into those settings.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap