2 Big-Named Stores inconveniently closed for the Holiday

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear 2 Big-Named Stores inconveniently closed for the Holiday

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have been searching for a piece of equipment, preferable from one of the bigger-named stores that everyone seems to trust. In the past two weeks I have found what I am looking for at two stores. Two very large, popular store whose names I will withhold but are located in NYC. Nearly $400.00 in equipment that I needed by this coming Friday.

But due to a religious holiday, both stores are closed from Sept 22nd till Oct 3rd.

So now, not only will I not be spending my money at either of their stores, I now have to find somewhere else to get my equipment before next weekend.

To clarify, I’m all for religious freedom and to celebrate those holidays. But to completely close down operations when only the owners seem to celebrate this holiday is a bit irresponsible.

I have plenty of friends practicing this same faith with businesses locally. They step out for the holidays then have their managers and non-celbrating employees run the businesses so that they don’t lose business or customers.

I am constantly having this problem with these two stores. Every week they are closed for one day, plus at least once a month they are closed for an extended holiday.

This doesn’t seem to be a very good way to run a business. But it is a good way to lose customers.

steveinid
      Participant

You get this when you visit B&H photo online.

“Our SuperStore and offices are currently closed. We will reopen on Sunday, October 3, at 10:00AM EDT. Orders placed today will be processed when we reopen.

EarlC

I applaud the people who observe their religious holidays with such dedication. Over the MANY years I’ve purchased thousands of dollars worth of equipment from B&H and am accustomed to their religious holiday observations. I simply plan my purchases better and order before or after – the same thing most of us do when local places give their employees an opportunity to observe their various secular AND religious holidays. I don’t blame them, nor do I perceive their action to be “irresponsible” at all.

Emergency purchases can be made from somebody somewhere most of the time, but for any PLANNED purchases religious holiday observances resulting in a closed facility would not be a problem for most people.

composite1

Event,

What are you looking to get? Maybe Earl or me can point you in another direction.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks anyway. I ended up biting the bullet and buy on ebay. Luckily I was able to find some sellers that are close to me and guaranteed fast shipping.

wwilli0
      Participant

No offense Event but in this day and age, to see someone so dedicated to their beliefs is refreshing. It says that there are some things more important than the almighty dollar.Of course this does not help you in your situation, but these people (the owners of the businesses) Have made up their minds on how they are going to conduct business. They have been around for a very long time and I’m sure your not the first to declare that your not going to give them your business again for this reason. Just remember that it’s nothing personal against you or me this is their belief system. They haven’t changed it yet, and I doubt they will.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Please don’t mis-understand. I applaud them for practicing their beliefs. We live in the greatest country in the world where that is possible.

Of course I am not completely boycotting the stores. But for this particular purchase, I had to go somewhere else. Money that I spent somewhere else, I would much rather spend at a reputable dealer such as these.

I spend $1000’s there every year.I just wish they would make concessions for those of us not also practicing their faith.

EarlC

Do you feel that way when you want to buy something at WalMart, BestBuy or some other store that has something you want and you want it on Christmas Day, but they’re not open so you can buy it when you want it? I won’t post anymore regarding this, but still I think the original inference came off like the personal inconvenience it was for you due to their expression of belief regarding Jewish holidays and their observance by closing for them. As you said: “We live in the greatest country…”

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Production Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.