16:9 vs 4:3 Aspect on FX-1

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi Everyone. I’m a hobby videographer who’s owned an FX-1 for three years now and love the cam, save for the weight, especially when shooting weddings. Has anyone figured out how to overcome the distorted look of an image if you shoot in HD instead of DV and then edit in SD? I have a rather rudimentary editing program in the form of “Roxio Easy Media Creator,” ver. 7.5(I’m looking for a new computer now and considering going to an IMACwith Final Cut Express; current computer is a Gateway 200X laptop running 1.4 gighz processor and Windows XP Pro) and the effect is a “blow out” or distortion of the image when editing in SD. The program won’t edit in HD and I don’t have the hardware to do so. Everyone advises, “Always shoot in HD!” but the fact is that many viewers don’t have HD sets or the HD players to take advantage of HD’s resolution so I shoot and edit in SD instead. The videos are still great though. As you know,the FX-1 shows natively in 16:9 aspect so the image being rendered on the Roxio product comes out looking “squatty”. If I change the aspect in Roxio, you get the “bars” look which a lot of people hate. Sigh. ..

That leaves me then to shoot in DV where the aspect is unchanged in editing. Any suggestions as to how to overcome the distorted look shooting in HD and then editing in a non-HD program? Alternatively, if you are using an HD program for a PC that won’t be overwhelming in the learning curve, (Vegas perhaps?), I’d be interested in your thoughts on this too!

Best,

apcipriano

Participant

I also have a FX-1 and used Roxio 7 as my editing software.

I had the same problem with HD video and trying to edit it SD…

I ended up getting Sony Vegas 7.0 with DVD Architect. I really like the Sony and the videos are a lot better quality.

If your budget allows you to get Sony Vegas, that is what I would get.

Donnie

Participant

Thanks. How is the learning curve on Vegas? I downloaded the trial version and found it a bit daunting, havng used Roxio since 2004!Time for a change and I don’t want tostay with Roxio.

Apcipriano

Participant

The learning curve….well I’m always learning something new on it.

One thing I have done to help learn Sony Vegas is watching tutorials on Youtube and then trying it.

Roxio is great for my Sony Hi-8 video camera I have been using until I got my FX-1

Donnie

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Videomaker’s 2020 holiday gift guide

When it comes to holiday gifting for people who are deeply involved in a niche or hobby, it's challenging to decide which ideas are worthwhile. If the hobby has become an actual gig that they invest in, it can be daunting. This is true with videographers as much as anything, but we're here to help. You might want to find a gift that is exactly what they need to round out their gear, or something a little more fun. Either way, we've got you covered.
homicide-bootstrap