1080 or 720 ?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’ll be shooting at a reception that will last about 4 hours. Shooting time will certainly be between 2 and 3 hours! That will be a lot of data to transfer at 1080p. Since this will go onto a DVD, is it really worth it to shoot at 1080p or would 720p do the trick?

Participant

Pierre,

Personally I gather the highest signal I can and downconvert. Recording in 1080 allows you to recenter and even zoom 50% (w/o pixelating)in a DVD project. If you are concerned about file size you don’t even have to shoot at 720p since DVD’s aren’t HD. Just go SD 16×9 (720×480). 720 is an HD format =1280×720 and 1080 is 1920×1080

Participant

I’m getting more and more into video, but my brother in law (who shoots documentaries with PBS and a few other networks, is finishing his first self produced documentary (Cape Spin) that’s being shown in International Film Festivals, Sundance Channel, etc… shot the entire thing in 720p.

That being said… as Bruce mentioned, you could probably get away with shooting in SD and make the file much more manageable, but also, like Bruce said, I’d prefer to shoot in a higher res to account for any zooming, etc., so I’d do 720p.

Best of luck!

Participant

It’s good to keep the end product in mind, but if the client suddenly decides they want HD after you’ve shot the thing, it would be handy to be able to say, “Sure, no problem,” instead of “Oh, sorry, it’s all SD.”

I’m shooting my two upcoming projects in 720, mainly because my computer starts to wheeze and sputter when I feed it 1080 clips. I’m sure that’ll change though as time goes by…

Participant

For me shooting in HD and down converting is still just future proofing as it has always been.

720 is my output to the internet for file size reasons but I prefer to shoot in 1440/1080 orfull HDand be able to reframe in the edit if need be. Very handy when having to stabilize footage in AE.

Participant

ya,

I agree shoot in HD or 1080P then down grade if needed with compression. But if this is going to go on DVD even 720P would be a bit big

Since it’s just a reception and not a film you’re planning on exhibiting on large projection or for broadcast, Decide whether you need to use HD or not. You have to consider what the final output for the project will be. If it’s going straight to DVD without mass distribution you can easily do 16×9 SD in widescreen and have done with it. Now if your client is paying for HD quality, 720p is fine whether for DVD, a basic Blu-Ray setup or simple broadcast (TV or web.) If your client is paying top dollar for a project with serious compositing, graphics with an intention for high-end distribution, then yeah 1080p is a good place to start.

However, you have to take into account how well your setup will ingest 1k+ video, what your capacity to store and safely work with the footage is and how much time will it take to get the job done. Now though I shoot primarily in 720p, I have 1080i available and won’t hesitate to bang out a nice SD piece if HD isn’t absolutely necessary. Food for thought.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap