100% in-camera editing? Is it possible?

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m researching video cameras for my brother. He is walking across America in the Walk For Liberty and he is making videos everyday. He will soon be walking a lot and won’t have time to edit the film on his computer. Which is the best video camera in which he can edit all his clips in-camera? He then just wants to off-load the video to his computer and then upload it to YouTube.

Any suggestions on a camera that does 100% in-camera editing for his needs?

Inactive

what kind of editing does he want to do. Basic editing can be done on some of the Sony handycam camcorders. Im not sure how much editing he willbe able to acheive on the camcorder because I have not been able to play around with it very much.If he doesn’t plan on getting very technical, I see no reason why this wouldn’t work.

Inactive

you won’t have “precise” editing, but can get a general rough cut.

Inactive

I’ve done some in camera editing in my Sony VX2100. You have to CM tape (which is expensive) and it can be very nerve racking. After 2 hours of messing with it I got a fairly decent 15 minute clip with some simple fade transitions and titles, but I promise you, I will NEVER attempt it again. Not much fun at all.

Inactive

Also – I almost forgot – I’m pretty sure you can not render in a camera, so his clips would have to be short to upload to YouTube with the 100 MB limit. If he can dump it in his computer and render it in a simple editor, he could use a longer video.

Inactive

Have you considered using a DVD camcorder? They allow random access to all your shots, the MPG video files are a bit smaller and you can put the disc in a computer to edit w/o the time consuming capture process. I don’t know how your bro is planning on getting his video on the internet. I’m guessing he already has access to a computer, so why can’t he do the editing & compression on it? As the other replies mention, doing actual editing using a camcorder isn’t very easy or very quick. But like all editing, if you have a good plan it is much easier.

Which brings me to what we used to call in-camera editing. It meant that you shot exactly what you need, in order, for the finished video. It was a common assignment for beginning videographers & editors. It forces the student to focus more on shooting for the edit, a common weakness in beginner video. The value of cut-aways and shooting with a plan are important lessons the in-camera edit assignment teaches. And there is the discipline of having to shoot your program in order, although most cameras did allow some form of audio or video insert editing to add cut-aways or voice over narration.

As it turns out, travel narratives are excellent candidates for in-camera productions. The story is very linear so you don’t need to shoot anything out of order. You would need a camcorder that let’s you set, exactly, where you start each shot (since trimming in post isn’t an option.) But as long as he can shoot exactly what he needs, in the order he needs it, the video on tape will be a finished show as soon as the day’s last shot is on the tape. All that is left is the question of compression. And I have encountered video sharing sites that allow you to play a tape into their upload interface. (I just can’t remember any one except http://www.current.tv)

But really, the choice of camcorder is secondary. They pretty much all have a “camera editing” option. And none of them are particularly easy to use and all the ones I’ve investigated require you to connect a VCR with a compatible infrared remote so the camcorder can stop & start the VCR when it’s shuttling tape or skipping to the trim points. And still, how is it getting uploaded?

Even the new crop of video cameras that shoot MP4 video for the web, like the Flip & many others, still require a computer to log on to the web. So if you’ve got a video compatible computer, why are you not editing on it? You mentioned something about a lack of time to edit. You’re not likely to solve that problem by some form of in-camera editing. You need to learn how to shoot for the edit in either case. The problem isn’t a lack of time for editing, your bro’s problem is not knowing how to shoot & edit efficiently. If this were learned, he could use a DVD or tapeless recorder to make importing the video a simple matter of file transfers. Dropping these files in place on the timeline, a bit of fine tuning the transitions and audio sweetening and, viola, there’s a finished production rendered and uploaded in less than an hour.

But if you’re still hoping to do it all in-camera, your best bet is tapeless camcorder. When you’re using tape, you can’t afford to make a mistake in recording or change your mind about a previous shot. And a tapeless camcorder’s in-camera editing capacity is far greater (and doesn’t require a second VCR to assemble the final show on.

Good luck, hop you can figure out what you actually can do before you’re out there trying to do it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2020

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and...
homicide-bootstrap