As technology makes the components for camcorders smaller and smaller, the overall form factor has shrunk considerably. In many forms of technology, smaller is definitely better, but I think camcorders are an exception to the rule. Give me a big, shoulder mountable beast of a camera, and I'll give you some stellar hand-held footage.
With that in mind, JVC just announced the GY-HM70, which aims to bring a shoulder mounted camcorder with some standout features to consumers for $1,995. So, what do you get for your money? A 29.5mm f1.2-5.6 wide angle lens with 16x dynamic zoom, and a ½.3” 12 megapixel CMOS sensor should make low light shoots, and run and gun scenarios a breeze. Plus it captures 1920x1080 video in AVCHD at 60p (@28Mbps) to two SDHC/SDXC memory cards for glass smooth slow motion. However, there is currently no option to shoot at 24p (60i is an option). If you're willing to downsize to 720x480 footage, you can capture high speed footage at 300fps. Shutter speed options range from ½ to 1/4000, and with manual focus, iris, and white balance, JVC aims to keep the control in the hands of the shooter. If you're shooting long events, you'll appreciate the hot swappable dual battery system, which will essentially allow you to shoot uninterrupted while swapping a battery. Of course, the GY-HM70 is a true shoulder mount design so it includes a .24” LCOS color viewfinder along with a 3” LCD flip-out touch screen for easy menu navigation. Notably missing are XLR mic inputs, but it does have a 3.5mm mic input.
The GY-HM70 boasts some impressive features, and packs them all into a shoulder mount form factor that's sure to please anyone who needs the ability to grab the camera, hoist it onto their shoulder and shoot all day when necessary. It will be available in May 2013. Read the full press release below.
JVC SETS NEW STANDARD FOR AFFORDABLE
HD PRODUCTION WITH GY-HM70 CAMCORDER
- WAYNE, NJ (March 11, 2013) – JVC Professional Products Company, a division of JVC Americas Corp., today announced the GY-HM70 ProHD shoulder-supported camcorder, which delivers 60p full HD images and innovative features at a cost effective price point. With a 12 megapixel CMOS imager, it records 1920x1080 footage in the AVCHD Progressive format at 28 Mbps to dual solid-state memory cards.
- The GY-HM70 is equipped with a high quality 29.5mm wide-angle GT lens that offers smooth 16x dynamic zoom performance. Veteran shooters will appreciate the camera's manual focus, iris, and shutter controls, as well as manual and automatic white balance. The camera also provides an optical image stabilizer, auto focus, and focus assist.
- At the core of the GY-HM70 is its 1/2.3-inch 12 megapixel CMOS imager. When combined with JVC's advanced FALCONBRID high-speed processor, it captures, processes, and records 1080/60p, 1080/60i, and 480/60i (SD) footage at various bit rates to SDHC/SDXC memory cards. It also allows high-speed video recording for slow motion footage at 300 fps (720x480 resolution), and captures 12 megapixel still images.
- JVC's unique, hot swappable dual battery system allows hours of continuous, uninterrupted shooting. For shoulder shooting, the GY-HM70 has a .24-inch LCOS color viewfinder, but it also includes a three-inch LCD flip-out touch screen display for tripod shots and playback. Audio features include a built-in zoom microphone, 3.5mm microphone input, and 3.5mm headphone jack.
- “With the introduction of the GY-HM70, JVC immediately focuses on the entry-level professional video market with a very cost effective shoulder-mount camera,” said Craig Yanagi, JVC national marketing and brand manager. “At this price, and packed with innovative features, the GY-HM70 will appeal to various market segments where budget is limited but a full-sized camcorder is the preferred choice, such as schools and universities, as well as event and wedding videographers.”
- The GY-HM70 has an MSRP of $1,995 and will be available in May 2013.
- ABOUT JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY
- Headquartered in Wayne, New Jersey, JVC Professional Products Company is a division of JVC Americas Corp., a wholly-owned subsidiary of JVC KENWOOD Corporation. JVC is a leading manufacturer and distributor of broadcast and professional video and audio equipment. For further product information, visit JVC’s Web site athttp://pro.jvc.com or call (800) 582-5825.