Whether you're just starting out or have been at it for awhile, finding work as a video producer can be tough. Fortunately, demo reels can help entice potential clients by showcasing your best work. They can also give potential clients a better understanding of your capabilities and style, as well as an idea of what they'll be receiving should they hire you.
When making a demo reel to promote your video business there are several guidelines to abide by:
- Keep it short. Anything longer than 4-5 minutes will potentially bore the viewer.
- Be sure to include the name of your company and logo at the beginning and end of the reel.
- Include work that shows off your best camera work, editing skills, and storytelling capabilities.
- Make sure your demo reel is polished, meaning, the audio levels are even throughout and the quality of the video is at its very best.
- Use work that isn't yours.
- Include personal pleas for business. It not only makes you look unprofessional, but is a major turn off to potential clients.
- Use testimonials about your work from you or your past clients. Let the work speak for itself, people will make their own conclusions.
- Don't put contact information in the video. Since contact info is likely to change from time to time, putting it on your DVD label will make it easier to update than having to revise your demo reel.