Send me a download link to Videography Essentials. I will also receive Videomaker's free Enewsletter, which I can cancel at any time.
We've all been there. You think you've got everything ready, that you've prepared for every possible contingency, but then, at the last minute, you just can't remember what you're supposed to do. Usually it wouldn't be any big deal. If you had the time, you could go flip through your training guides or watch a quick tutorial. But sometimes there's no time! You've got your camera set up and daylight is dwindling; your talent is tapping their feet and checking their watches. You just don't have the time to run back to your books, so what can you do?
That's exactly why we created Videography Essentials. This handy guide breaks down all the important aspects of videography for fast reference for the video creator on-the-go. Blanking on exactly what the buttons on your new camera do? Don't be embarrassed, it takes some getting used to! We'll show you what to do with white balance, zebra stripes, shutter speed, and F-stop. Just a few quick reminders to help you handle your camera like a pro.
Of course, forgetting your camera functions is only one of the little bumps you might encounter in the field. I've always had trouble with lighting, myself. It seems so simple, all you need is a light, right? Well, you know as well as I do that a lot of things can go wrong in the field. The Lighting Tips section will help jog your memory before any shoot to make sure you don't forget the little details that trip up the best of us. Not only that, we've included quick hints to help you get a grip on ND filters, white side reflectors and the other lighting tools that make all the difference. When I first started making video, I tried relying entirely on ambient light because I was too intimidated to work with the lighting equipment that the pros use. Videography Essentials' Lighting Tips section will help you avoid making the same mistakes that I did!
Know exactly what you're doing when you point your camera. Videography Essentials includes a step-by-step guide to shooting that will get you ready to tackle any job. Nothing's left out of this, so you won't have to fumble around and fake it. You'll know exactly what's going on. Get the straight scoop on setting up a pleasing composition or shooting a scripted scene. You won't believe just how much information we've managed to stuff into these few short pages, but we know that sometimes you need that extra boost when you just don't have time to pore over all your notes. This quick guide will keep you on track!
Videography Essentials is the Must-Have Tool in your Arsenal
It's easy to think that you know everything when you're at safe at home and you've got all your guidebooks and training DVDs within an arm's reach. (I have that problem all the time) But it's a whole new ballgame when you're in the thick of a shoot and the pressure's on. Don't become a casualty to your own ego! I keep a copy of Videography Essentials close to my heart at all times just for such a contingency. Because, well, you never know when you might need a friendly little reminder about how to finish your shoot.
Here's what you get when you download Videography Essentials
- Tips for Shooting Video
- Directing Tips
- Camera Controls
- Talent Release
- Lighting Tips
- Camera Menu Items
- Fits in your pocket
- Location Checklist
- Camera Controls
- Packing Checklist
- Audio Recording Tips
- Additional Resources
When we say essential, we really mean it!
When you download your free copy of Videography Essentials, you get:
- Tips for Shooting Video — Quick and easy ways to keep your shoot on track, so that your video ends up looking good. Fast references on the basics, composition and setting up scripted scenes.
- Camera Controls — Don't panic, we'll show you how to remember what to do with all those knobs and dials so that you don't make any silly mistakes.
- Lighting Tips — A quick and easy primer on all the basics of lighting a shoot, from taking care of your lights to extra tools to help you make the most of your lighting arrangement.
- Audio Recording Tips — Clever little hints that will make sure that you always get the sound recording you desire. Avoid embarrassing missteps when you follow this checklist!
- Directing Tips — Don't be nervous about directing! Whether you're shy about giving people orders or worry that you're too bossy, follow these simple guidelines and you'll come across as a professional and experienced director. It doesn't take much to keep your crew and talent on track, but too many fledgling directors don't take the time to really think about it. We've broken it down into a few sharp bullet points, so you can easily keep these important skills in mind as you direct.
- Talent Release — Forgot your paperwork? No problem! This quick and dirty talent release form may not be pretty but it gets the job done. It's a simple and easy way to protect yourself from any legal liability that no video creator should forget.
- Camera Menu Items — Mystified by some of the more obscure items on your camera menus? This short run-down will tell you what they do and when to use them
- Location Checklist — It's the easiest thing in the world to assume that you won't have any trouble shooting on location, but nothing puts the damper on a shoot worse than showing up to discover that's not the case. A few good location scouting tips will help you avoid nasty surprises when you show up with your camera for the big shoot.
- Packing Checklist — How embarrassing to forget a little thing like cables or batteries! You were sure you had them in your pockets before you left and now aren't you sorry you didn't double check? This list will make sure you don't forget a thing.
- Additional Resources — Even more resources to help you on your way to becoming a professional videographer. These longer resources are perfect for when you get home after the shoot and really want to dig a little deeper to learn more.
Videomaker always brings you the best video tips and tricks
At Videomaker, we want to give you the knowledge you need to make great videos. In the beginning we were all new to making video, and we understand how frustrating it can be to have a desired look in mind and lack the knowledge needed to translate your vision to video. That's why we want to take you on a transformational journey through a series of emails designed to develop a well-rounded set of production skills, so you can make consistently great video.