You are here

What's the cheapest place to get historical news footage?

saltyd's picture

I'm a grad student and I'm making a video project for my class on the peace process in Colombia.  I am overwhelmed by the amount of footage available at places like footage.net, and I'm not really sure where to start.  No one lists the prices, so I don't know what to expect when emailing all of these folks.  Is there one news station that is cheaper than the other when getting the rights?  I'm just putting this together for educational purposes, and I really feel like I should be able to grab anything and claim fair use.  If I'm not going to be making money off it I don't see why these news corporations should.  But our footage is supposed to be cleared, and all of the creative commons stuff doesn't have what I need.  Does anyone know where to start and how much I should expect to pay? 

Brian Collins's picture

Do you ever want to tell your instructors that they are dain brammaged?  Rights clearance on stock footage from Columbia for a class project is beyond silly.  It sounds like they really have no grasp on how the business works or the specialized nature of the footage you're looking for.

Stock footage can be insanely expensive.  Depending on the length of your project and the number of shots you need, you might be looking at tens of thousands.  Face it, you're not looking for generic footage, but very specialized footage that you'll probably have to license through one of the networks or their broker.  http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com

Two strategies to contemplate:  One is to download lowrez files proofing files.  It will have a watermark of some type like a timecode burn in but you can edit your piece and show what you could do with a real budget. The other thought is to approach whomever has the footage you're looking for and explain the usage and ask for an academic rate.  Expect that it won't be free and that their first offer will still be pretty darn high.  Counter with whatever you can afford whether it be $200 or $2000... all they can say is no.

Brian Collins

Atomic Pictures Inc

Birmingham, AL

www.atomicpix.com